Samantha's Reviews > Foundation and Empire

Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov

Oct 10, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction, classics
Read from October 08 to 10, 2010 , read count: 1

I have to say, I am really enjoying my foray into the land of science fiction. This is another great installment in the Foundation series.

After almost three centuries of domination in the periphery of the Galaxy, the Foundation is in danger of being taken over by a mysterious conqueror call The Mule. In fact, even Hari Seldon - the brilliant mathematician whose science of psychohistory predicts that the Foundation will be the seed of a new, peaceful Galactic Empire - seems to have missed the appearance of this new and dangerous element in Galactic history. And if Hari Seldon couldn't predict it, the Foundation and the future of the Galactic Empire are surely doomed.

Asimov's writing style is straightforward and his imagination and storytelling are superb. My favorite parts of the story are the unique characters and the underlying idea that only a few tenacious and intelligent individuals can defeat the greater powers of evil and oppression that are working against them. The characters are real and relatable despite the sci-fi gadgets and futuristic setting. We root for them in their triumphs and feel their frustration and despair in defeat. What more could a reader ask for in a novel?

The ease with which Asimov weaves his tale through history and seamlessly ties new characters to previous ones is admirable and makes the move from book to book, installment to installment a breeze. And just like with his previous novels, his ability to world-build is astounding and one of the highlights of his writing.

The ending is left open, of course, in order to lead into the next part of the story. And I, for one, can't wait to dive right into it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation and Empire.