Julie's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: 1001-books-to-read-before-you-die, audiobooks, classics, simon-vance
Read from October 09 to 24, 2010

Although not a big fan of horror, I decided to pick up this classic - it seemed perfect book to read before Halloween. I was pleasantly surprised at what a fun book this is! Being already familiar with this infamous story of the Transylvanian vampire count (who doesn't already know this story!), I was expecting a creepy tale that would involve blood sucking, poor helpless women victims and the final stake in the heart, but told in the detailed wordy Victorian style (vs. Stephenie Meyer style we are all accustomed to). The book is surprisingly readable. Told from various perspectives through personal journals and newspaper articles, the story first follows Jonathan Harker, a London solicitor who goes to Transylvania to help the count settle some land acquisitions in England. Being a rational and logical man, Harker at first dismisses all the warnings from the local peasants and the odd behavior of the count, but is finally forced to admit that Dracula is an evil creature when he witnesses some of his powers. The book immediately drew me in and I found myself feeling not only the growing terror and doom, but the fear of insanity when Harker is faced with the impossible. The story switches to other people's journals, including two of his female victims and the brilliant Dr. Van Helsing. Although the book has the flowery Victorian style, the descriptions and diaglog are so well done that you feel the same terror that you would have if you were seeing the story unfold in 3D at the local theater.

The audiobook is narrated by Simon Vance. As always, he is superb with his character narrations and it was pure pleasure to hear him perform the accents of that evil Transylvanian count! Very fun and perfect for Halloween.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

message 1: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Micsa Hi Julie,

Now you're in my part of the world. My husband was actually born in Transylvania, where Vlad Tepes (Dracula) ruled. I'll tell you the whole story about Dracula, not the fictionalized one when we get together. There is now a Dracula Castle that you can visit in Romania to satisfy the West's need for sensationalism-Ha!Ha!

I hope you had a great weekend! My husband and I took the kids to the Second Saturday art yesterday evening and today we went to the grand opening of the Crocker Art Museum. I took some great videos that I'll post on my Facebook later, mainly of the speeches from the opening ceremony.

Have a good night, and don't let Dracula scare you - or better yet, keep him away with garlic -Ha!Ha!

Carmen

message 2: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Micsa Hi Julie,

Please add Dracula to my list!

I just finished my midterms yesterday, and it feels good.

Have a great and safe Happy Halloween,
Carmen

P.S. Sophia will be a giraffe and Alex will be a dragon, so we'll have fun.

Julie I'll add it to your list! Have fun with your little 'zoo' of animals this Hallowee!