Miriam's Reviews > The Enchanted April

Oct 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: movie-link, reread
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I read this book several years ago after seeing the movie, and this is one movie that I feel improves on the book. It stays very faithful to the book until the end, and then makes a change at the end that I prefer to the novel's ending.

That being said, the book is a good read, and some parts are very funny. I had two real problems with the book. One is that the author tends to be quite repetitive. For example, she establishes early on that Scrap is so beautiful that everything she says or does is interpreted positively by others. It is an interesting idea, but von Arnim repeats it again and again. Practically every time Scrap says or does anything it is followed by a comment reminding us about her beauty and how it causes people to misinterpret what she says.

My other problem was the way that she presented Frederick (Rose's husband). We don't really see him at all until he shows up in Italy, and we don't know that he is already acquainted with Scrap (Lady Caroline), so his coming to see her is entirely out of the blue. I think this is another place where the film improved on the book; by letting us see him interact with both Rose and Lady Caroline before they go to Italy, it makes the ending more satisfying.

It was interesting reading this book again, and I enjoyed it, but it mostly made me want to watch the film again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted April.