Samantha Young's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Nov 26, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, favourites
Read from November 24 to 26, 2010

Ah had to read this beauty again before I start the second and the third in the trilogy. What can I say? One of my most absolute favourite books EVER.

It's fast-paced, full of suspense and horror and has a sharp and likeable heroine whose first person narrative pulls you so deeply into her world it's hard to put the book down from the first page. My first thought when picking up the book was that it was The Running Man meets Battle Royale but as you begin to read it feels more like Suzanne Collins has created a vision of the future in which imperial Rome meets modern technology...she utilises a lot of Roman names throughout the book (Caesar, Cato, Cinna, Claudius,Flavius)for people from The Capitol or positively associated with the Capitol, the controlling centre of Panem (what was once North America). The idea of each of the districts working their industries for the benefit of the Capitol is reminiscent of the laws of agriculture of imperial Rome, but the biggest inspiration of course are the Games which took place inside the arena of the Colosseum - violent theatrics carried out for the gratification of the emperor and his people. Overall an incredibly clever use of history to create a fresh, explosive sci-fi novel that may be marketed for YA but should be enjoyed by all.
LOVE IT!

FIVE MASSIVE, MASSIVE, GIGANTIC STARS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.