Julie's Reviews > Freaky Green Eyes

Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates

Oct 11, 10

bookshelves: books-i-love, read-in-norwegian, favorites, joyce-carol-oates, i-cried
Read on October 11, 2010

I would compare reading ”Freaky Green Eyes” to eating your favorite dessert. It’s simply exquisite.

I first read “Freaky Green Eyes” back in 2004, when I was 11, and it haunted me for several years. I absolutely loved it.

I sadly forgot the title and the author, and I then spent a couple of years trying to find “Freaky Green Eyes” again. That captivating, amazing book that I read in one sitting, with my heart in my throat. I became quite obsessed with finding it, honestly. After a bit of luck I found out the title again 2 days ago, and I then immediately went to the library today and picked it up, curious if it was going to be as good a read this time around, 6 years later.

Was it? No. It was BETTER.

I recently lost my mother. She was murdered. My dad is a violent psycho. I grew up watching the same shit Franky did. This time around I could truly appreciate how Franky reacted, what she was going through, her pain. What it’s like to be a teenager, and her mood swings. Reading Krista’s diary was absolutely heartbreaking. (This book is written in such a fascinating way. It keeps you on your toes.)

I knew what was going to happen. I remembered most of the plot. I still read it in one sitting. I will probably read it again before return it. And then I will buy the book. “Freaky Green Eyes” might be my favorite book of all time. I love it. It’s not only entertaining and well written but … it has helped me.

It has helped me cope with my mom’s death.

Thank you Joyce Carol Oates for writing something I could relate to. Thank you for helping someone who has had to witness and experience domestic violence.

I would love a sequel one day. It’s not gonna happen though, I know that.

READ THIS BOOK. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freaky Green Eyes.