Cass's Reviews > Mercy's Embrace: So Rough a Course

3891953
Dec 27, 13

bookshelves: fan-fiction, 2010, 2013, 2012, books-i-own-ebook
Read in October, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 3

I really enjoyed this story. The author did a such a wonderful job with her heroine Elizabeth. Rather than reinvent her character erasing all her flaws, she helped us to see a different woman underneath a very hard shell. I very quickly came to love Elizabeth Elliot almost as much as Anne, Emma and the Bennett girls (though never as much as Katharine).

I am not sure that a trilogy of books was absolutely necessary, after all Jane Austen manage to write her books in a single volume. Regardless of this I still enjoyed all the books.

I applaud the author for successfully telling the story of one of the most unloved of Austen's characters, and telling it well.

Anne and Wentworth are treated a little bit roughly in this book, but I just ignore that bit and pretend they are talking about someone else, I think this is a freedom that is allowed when reading fan fiction written about classic books.

ETA: I wrote this review three years ago, since then I have reread this trilogy several times. The redemption story of Elizabeth Elliot is by far my favourite piece of fan fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy's Embrace.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cass I began this series with apprehension. Elizabeth Elliot had always seemed such selfish and uncaring sister to Anne Elliot (Persuasion). I could not imagine enjoying a book where she was turned into the heroine.