Heather's Reviews > The Bronze Horseman

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: 20th-c, historical-fiction, romance, russia, wwii
Read from October 21 to November 26, 2011

This was such a wonderful read that I am so glad I was able to squeeze it in this year. I hadn’t read any books set in Russia previously and I really haven’t read very much at all about WWII so this was a great combination on time and place for me. I also don’t typically read a lot of historical romance novels – which I didn’t realize this was until I saw the words “a love story” – but there was so much historical detail and a world brought to vivid life that I didn’t even care…that much.

Russia and particularly Leningrad became characters unto themselves. We walk the streets with Tatiana and Alexander and learn all about the monuments and buildings. You get a vivid picture of what it was like to live in Soviet style apartment type houses. When there are bombings, gun fights, building destructions you feel it all.

In my opinion the characters were well built and grow over time – Tatiana certainly does. I was actually quite frustrated by her in the beginning of the book. It is sort of slow moving and she is so naïve and it is frustrating her feeling of futility – she gives in to everyone too often. I LOVED Alexander. He was just the right amount of hero, dashing, daring, handsome, and brave. He did all the right things and you always cheered for him. On the other hand I could feel my hate for Dimitri grow over time – he is such a worm!

This is certainly a historical romance. While there is great detail of the attack on Leningrad, how people lived, and the battles that ensued – the focus of the story are the relationships between Tatiana and her sister Dasha and Alexander and Dimitri. There is a lot of sexual discussion, somewhat explicit, but it wasn’t like a bodice ripper by any means. There did come a point when I was like, “OK, I get it, could we please just move on with the story”.

For a lengthy book it pulls you right along by emotionally attaching you to the characters and making you care what happens to them as they encounter each new insufferable event. There are times of deep sadness and great passion. The ending of this book I thought was awesome and leads well into Book 2 – Tatiana and Alexander, which I can’t wait to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Horseman.

10/23/2011 page 18
10/30/2011 page 211
25.0% "Wow, over 100 pages last night! I guess that is what happens when you are waiting for the power to go out and for the kitten to fall asleep!"
show 13 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne How are you enjoying The Bronze Horseman, Heather? Should I move this up to the front of my TBR?

Heather I'm really enjoying it - I haven't had as much time to read lately as I would want. I certainly think it's worth the move up the list - it does read fast despite it's length!