alhafizol's Reviews > The Naked Face

Oct 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: borrow
Read from October 11 to 12, 2010

This is such a page turner and I just simply cannot put down this book. This book is brilliantly crafted by Sidney Sheldon and no doubt that he is one of the master of story telling. The naked Face is a fast pace psychological action thriller with the twists here and there. The story begins when two police detectives, McGreavy and Angeli came over to Dr. Stevens' clinic to investigate the murder of one of his patients. He was interrogated as if he is the murder and this made Dr. Stevens a bit tensed. Then the second murder occurred. The victim was Carol, his receptionist and Dr. Stevens himself almost got killed in the hit and run. Now, he knew that the real target is himself and told the detectives, But, McGreavy thought that Judd was making it all up.While he was on the run from both the murder whose several time attempted to killed him and the police who treated him like a murderer he came across a private investigator but just before the investigator wanted to tell him who was behind all the scenes, he got murdered. Then, Judd was alone in pursue of the murderer.

The story was told in a simple language and easy to understand, but it was predictable and too straight forward. For me, a thriller book should make me thing harder what was going on and keep on guessing what is happening? who's the real mastermind? how the hero will proceed to prove his innocent? This book have a bit of those things but not that much. It was an easy one. However, I loved the sessions of Judd and his dangerous patients, they are maniacs, mentally sick, and psychotic. Being a psychoanalyst is just way to dangerous and I don't think I'll dare to take his job as my profession. But Dr. Stevens did just alright and I kind of admire him. It's not easy to deal with mentally sick people right?

The main character, Dr. Stevens (Judd) developed very well but this is the only character who gave impact in my reading. I really expected that other characters such as McGreavy and Anne can give more spice to the story but Sheldon didn't tell much about them. There were too little involvement of these characters with the story and I really think that The Naked face would be much better if these characters got more roles. Well, I knew that this is Sidney Sheldon's first novel and this minor weaknesses can be forgiven. I'm looking forward for his other novels. For sure.

Favorite Quotes
“Civilizationwas a thin, dangerously fragile veneer, and when that veneercracked, man became one of the beasts again, falling backinto the slime of the primeval abyss he prided himself onhaving climbed up from.”

CoffeeNCrackers' Meter
3 Cups of Coffee: This is one of those "I-simply-cannot-put-it-down" books. A bit predictable and too obvious but it was a good read. It left you wanting more from the author. Enjoy!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naked Face.

10/11/2010 page 70