Ali's Reviews > Justice Hall

Justice Hall by Laurie R. King

Oct 09, 10

Read in October, 2010

This is the 6th installment of the Mary Russell series, which features an ageing Sherlock Holmes, with brief appearances from Mycroft Holmes and Mrs Hudson. Russell and Holmes return home from their most recent adventure to be immediately thrust into another. The novel features characters featured in O Jerusalem - which is marketed as the 5th book but because of the dates of the story, chronologically happens at the time of the 1st book, and was sent out as a bookcrossing book ring together with the first book The Bee kepper's Apprentice, which was when I read it. So it has been a long time since I had encountered these characters, but many readers, reading the books in strict number order, would enjoy encountering these characters again in this novel and finishing the story of these characters and filling in the blanks of their history.
I am always amazed at how Holmes like Laurie King has made her Holmes - by this book he is about 60 years old, and yet still more or less recognisable as the Holmes we remember from Conan Doyle - he is still fairly enigmatic - a bit mellower, and less self destructive - but still Holmes for all that. Mary Russell a strong no nonense young woman intelligent, fearless, who keeps her own name after marriage - is a worthy heroine. Plenty of country house type drama in this novel - suspiciously acting reletives, shooting parties, balls, and dressing for dinner, naughty children listening to the grown ups, and plenty of family secrets and tragedies. I really enjoyed the multilayered plot of this book - it wasn't hard to guess the culprit - I don't think it was supposed to be - although there were two realistic possibilities - but the slow untangling of mysteries and secrets was what really makes this such a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justice Hall.