N's Reviews > The Two Towers

F_50x66
Nov 07, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from October 09 to November 07, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two Towers.

Quotes N Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Thus Aragorn for the first time in the full light of day beheld Éowyn, Lady of Rohan, and thought her fair, fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring that is not yet come to womanhood. And she was now suddenly aware of him: tall heir of kings, wise with many winters, greycloaked, hiding a power that yet she felt. For a moment still as stone she stood, then turning swiftly she was gone.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“I am not going to tell you my name, not yet at any rate.' A queer half-knowing, half-humorous look came with a green flicker into his eyes. 'For one thing it would take a long while: my name is growing all the time, and I've lived a very long, long time; so my name is like a story. Real names tell you the story of things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say. It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“And that's the way of a real tale. Take any one that you're fond of. You may know, or guess, what kind of a tale it is, happy-ending or sad-ending, but the people in it don't know. And you don't want them to.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy?”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“We are lost, lost,' said Gollum. 'No name, no business, no Precious, nothing. Only empty. Only hungry; yes, we are hungry. A few little fishes, nasty bony little fishes, for a poor creature, and they say death. So wise they are; so just, so very just”

10/12/2010 page 200