Terry's Reviews > Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend

Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder by John E. Miller

Jan 14, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction

I am one of those girls who obsessed over the "Little House" series of books. In fact I STILL read them, from time to time. So I must admit I read this book with a secret hope of it feeling like reading another, new, "Little House" book. It is a very interesting book, EXHAUSTIVE--sometimes to its detriment (LOTS of precise amounts of money spent on pounds of flour and percentages that certain towns grew in population between 1880 and 1910 and so on). It also makes very clear that Laura's daughter, Rose, had a HUGE hand in starting the series and shaping it over time. Sort of like Sylvia Plath beginning Ted Hughes' career for him. Anyway, an interesting read. Also I felt a lot of sorrow for Rose Wilder, as she had a very frustrating relationship with her parents and felt very unfulfilled as a writer and a creative person in the world. I think she was born ahead of her time. Too bad she ended up an archconservative, but, see what a bad relationship with your parents can drive you to? Heh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder.