Ryn's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: young-adult-sci-fi
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'm really not into zombies. I don't know. I'm creeped out by graveyards and all, but reanimated corpses just don't seem... realistic?

This book, set in a post-apocalyptic world in which the Unconsecrated (aka zombies) are ever-hungry for human flesh, was a total disappointment. It was recommended by Sarah Rees Brennan, who is an amazing writer and generally funny person, but who obviously doesn't share my taste in books. At all.

Mary is a girl who loses first her father, and then her mother to the Unconsecrated. She longs for the ocean, which she has heard stories about from her mother, but has never seen. She can't even imagine such a wide open place which the Unconsecrated cannot surround and which is impossible to enclose with a fence, as her home has always been. When the Unconsecrated finally break through the fence and into her village, she escapes with her brother (Jed), her sister-in-law (Beth), her betrothed (Harry), her best friend (Cass), a young boy (Jacob), and the man she loves (Travis).

I hated Mary. What is it with the main characters being so goddamn pompous and distant? Mary was horribly cold and boring, and it felt like she was constantly crying or miserable. She did have cause to be, but it made for one depressing read, let me tell you. As well, the awkward relationships outlined in the book made it even harder to read. The one character I liked was Travis, but even he didn't make this boring book worth the read. I didn't understand the clues that Mary tried to follow, and the entire story just seemed to drag on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.