Ryn's Reviews > Sweetheart

Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: mystery
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Archie is the damaged detective who faced off against the Beauty Killer... and survived. In this sequel to Heartsick, the reader learns more about the relationship between Archie and Gretchen and provides a fast-paced mystery that will keep you wondering what will happen next.

I definitely liked Heartsick better. I love Susan, the spunky journalist who knows her faults and stays damaged anyway. I feel like she's the most believable character I've read in a long, long time. However, while the first book was centered around her, in this book she was just another random character following a story that I never got into. I was too into learning about Archie to care about Susan's political expose, and that was a major flaw, as Susan was an amazing character. However, Archie was still well written and I really enjoyed how Gretchen kept the reader guessing. Cain is a good author, but I kind of wish she'd written a different story after the first book. Archie and Gretchen are interesting, but how long are they going to play tag? Susan is quickly losing the spark that kept her so fascinating at first, and the final twist that made the first book amazing wasn't present in this one. But I'll still read the next book in the series, although I really hope Cain takes a hiatus from these tired characters and creates new ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetheart.