Jessica's Reviews > Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML by Elisabeth Robson

May 16, 07

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in April, 2006

I actually brought this book on the train with me for pleasure-reading while I was commuting. I found this book on the shelf in the library while looking for a book on PHP, and something about the look of its spine had me pull it down and browse through it. I wasn't sure about the layout of the book at first (it's full of pictures, asides, and "handwritten" notes), but it seemed interesting enough that I thought I'd take it home with me and look through it. Now, I consider myself pretty well versed in HTML basics, but I knew I could use some brushing up, and my CSS skills are pretty weak, so I started in on it. The first half of the book was all review, but it was such an engaging review that I actually read through it all. The second half of the book started touching on things I didn't know or was shaky on, and I felt like it explained things very well. I actually ended up buying myself a copy of the book to keep as a reference manual, becuase I felt like it had excellent breadth and does a really good job of guiding someone from absolute beginner to standards- and accessibility-savvy on a number of different topics. If you consider yourself beginner to intermediate in creating web pages, and especially if you get bored with the standard way computer manuals and reference books are written, this is a good book to look at. It's published by O'Reilly, which I didn't realize at first, but it really is a serious and smart book dressed up in flashier clothing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML.