LeeAnn's Reviews > The Totally Made-up Civil War Diary of Amanda MacLeish

The Totally Made-up Civil War Diary of Amanda MacLeish by Claudia Mills

Oct 08, 10

This is a Mark Twain nominee for 2010. My daughter is reading the MT nominees in school so I have been reading them too. I was impressed with the way the author wove the diary's fictional author's diary entries in with the main character's, Amanda's life as it unfolded. In this book, Amanda's family is unraveling even as her diary personna's life is confusing her, and both come to the end after reaching conciliation with the events in each of their lives.

All in all, this is a good book. My main ick to it is that I get tired of all the "realism" from what author's perceive as real life. When I was younger, my reading was an escape to another life--not because my life was bad but because I loved to pretend. I don't enjoy realistic in this way, because it doesn't hold out a better way to be. It was a little depressing although thought provoking and very well written. It does build some sympathy and understanding for those children who have to go through divorce.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Totally Made-up Civil War Diary of Amanda MacLeish.