Lisianthus's Reviews > The Final Empire

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Oct 08, 2010

bookshelves: best-books-ever, kobo-books, philosophy

I have to say that what led me to start this series was because I was really intrigued with the idea of a prophetic hero that didn't live happily ever after. I enjoyed the good natured humour and the camaraderie between the men of Kelsier’s crew. I especially liked how Sanderson created Vin’s character and the inner struggles she goes through when taken into the crew and experiencing genuine trust for the first time in her life. As I read on it became increasingly hard to put the book down. Definitely worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Empire.

Quotes Lisianthus Liked

Brandon Sanderson
“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I'm quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.”

Brandon Sanderson
“Belief isn't simply a thing for fair times and bright days...What is belief - what is faith - if you don't continue in it after failure?...Anyone can believe in someone, or something that always succeeds...But failure...ah, now, that is hard to believe in, certainly and truly. Difficult enough to have value. Sometimes we just have to wait long enough...then we find out why exactly it was that we kept believing...There's always another secret.”

Brandon Sanderson
“Marsh: Our best efforts were never even a mild annoyance to the Lord Ruler."
Kelsier: Ah, but being an annoyance is something that I am very good at. In fact, I'm far more than just a 'mild' annoyance--people tell me I can be downright frustrating. Might as well use this talent for the cause of good, eh?”

Brandon Sanderson
“I've always been very confident in my immaturity.”

Brandon Sanderson
“There's always another secret.' -Kelsier”

Brandon Sanderson
“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You'll sound far less stupid that way.

- Breeze”

Brandon Sanderson
“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.”

Brandon Sanderson
“I strive for nothing if not consistency”

“Belief?"
"Yes," Sazed said. "Tell me, Mistress. What is it that you believe?"
Vin frowned. "What kind of question is that?"
"The most important kind, I think.”

Brandon Sanderson
“I bring you a message from a friend of ours," she said quietly. "He wanted you to know that he's not dead. He can't be killed."
"He is hope."
The she raised the spear and rammed it directly into the Lord Ruler's heart.”

Brandon Sanderson
What? Is that boy crazy?"
"Most young men his age are somewhat crazy, I think," Sazed said with a smile. "However, this is hardly unexpected. Haven't you noticed how he stares at you when you enter a room?"
"I thought he was just creepy.”