Moi Escalante's Reviews > Suspect

Suspect by Michael Robotham

Dec 23, 14

bookshelves: books-i-own

This was purchased from Book Sale many, many years ago at Php 50 (about one US dollar) and I took it out of the shelf because the prologue was interesting. This is perhaps the very first suspense-thriller novel I’ve read, if I remember correctly. And it’s among the best.

Written in first person, we are introduced to Professor Joseph O’Loughin, a forty-year-old psychologist, with a pretty wife, a charming daughter and an incurable disease. He was living a pretty decent life (well, somewhat) until one day, a curious part of his past was suddenly running after him. Suddenly, white vans kept popping wherever he went. Suddenly, that bloody boiler at home found it polite to break more often. Suddenly, there was a bounty on his head. Suddenly, he was the prime suspect of a crime (he swore) he never did. And people he knew, people he once worked with, people he care about were disappearing one by one. He was determined to find out the truth and clear his name. And he would never expect that the person who should be suffering his fate was just within reach.

“Coincidence is just a couple of things working simultaneously.” Apparently, he was very wrong.

I find this quite amusing because Slytherin and a boy pretending to be Harry Potter suddenly popped in one chapter, not that it has anything to do with the plot. The twists, they keep you from putting the book down and I suggest your fingers do a little exercise because they’ll keep on flippin’ the pages. This’ll keep your mind working and you’ll realize that every small detail that the author introduces fits to a certain point somewhere later. The kind of what I try to look hard for on writers. That skill. Robotham has it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suspect.