Kirsti's Reviews > A Rule Against Murder

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: cake-eaters, canada, eccentricity, fiction, greed, mystery
Read in October, 2010

Another gift from Jan M. Thanks!

This series takes place in a tiny village. I was trying to figure out how the author would keep the series going without killing off the entire town. In this book, she solves the problem by selecting two of the villagers and sending them off on vacation, where they happen to meet the detective and the detective's wife. The four of them have suffered through three previous murder investigations together and are great pals. Farfetched, but I don't read these books for their logic.

This is structured like an English country-house murder mystery, but it's in Canada. As usual with Louise Penny books, there are tons of Canada references--Coaticook ice cream, St. Jean Baptiste Day celebrations, Lake Memphremagog--and the murder weapon is bizarre.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention: The hotel owner has "a rule against murder." She doesn't allow anyone to hunt or fish or kill bugs or mice on her property . . . but she serves salmon and steak. Where do they come from, the supermarket?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rule Against Murder.