Ryn's Reviews > Mister Monday

Mister Monday by Garth Nix

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: children-s-fantasy
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** "...sometimes it is easier to see the light when you stand partly in the darkness."

I loved Sabriel, so I kind of thought I'd like the Keys to the Kingdom series as well. So sue me. It was alright, for a children's book. Which means that I should really stop reading children's books and then complaining that they're childish.

Arthur Penhaligon (like Pendragon? Why?) was supposed to die of an asthma attack, but he survived because of a key given to him by the lazy Mister Monday. Since Arthur didn't die, the key didn't revert back to Mister Monday (as had been his plan), and he spends the rest of the book trying to get it back. Meanwhile, Arthur tries to take the hour hand as well (in addition to the minute hand key that he was given) so he can set the Will to rights.

Garth Nix's ideas are amazing. They're just a little random and jumbled in this book. I love the idea that each of the Trustees rules a day of the week, and I can't wait to see what the rest of the days will bring. I especially liked the idea of Monday's Dawn (with a golden tongue), Noon (with a silver tongue), and Dusk (with a black tongue) as minions. Dusk is the most interesting of the three, and he chooses to become Monday's Noon when Arthur defeats and heals Mister Monday. Arthur also refused to stay in the House and wanted to return to the Secondary Realms to rid Earth of the plague brought by the Nithling. I enjoyed how they could make choices and change the direction of their stories. All too often the villain is the villain because he is mean, and the good guy is the good guy because he is all that is sugar and spice and everything nice.

Don't get me started on my Injustices Against Snape and Draco Tirade.

The House was a little confusing and hard to imagine, and I didn't really like Arthur or Suzy Turquoise Blue as characters. Leaf, who was briefly introduced in the beginning of the book seemed a little promising, but she wasn't a very big part of this story. Most of the characters were flat and boring (but some weren't) and the House is a little too wild, but the plot was pretty interesting. Nix had the bare bones of strong characters, but I didn't feel that he really explored them. And then I remind myself that it's only a CHILDREN'S BOOK!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister Monday.

Quotes Ryn Liked

Garth Nix
“Sometimes it is easier to see the light when you stand partly in the darkness.”
Garth Nix, Mister Monday