LiteraryObsession's Reviews > Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn

Thirst No. 3 by Christopher Pike

Oct 08, 10

Read in October, 2010

Christopher Pike's The Last Vampire series was one of my favorite things to read as a youngster. I purchased each book as it hit the shelves and devoured them gleefully. I was so terribly unhappy that the series ended in The Last Vampire: Creatures of Forever. That said, however, the ending of that book, the end of the series, was perfect. All the loose ends were tied up into a nice little bow. All questions answered. It was over.

Imagine my surprise (and from what I've seen by poking around the internet, the surprise of many) when I saw that there was going to be a 7th book. What? But Sita's story was over! Done! Finished! We, her devoted fans, knew precisely what happened, we knew her story, we knew the truth, we'd read THE END. Boy were we fooled.

Like many others I wondered how, after such a solid ending to the series, Christopher Pike could bring Sita back into the limelight. I imagined it would be stunningly brilliant, written eloquently and beautifully...the story would flow from the pages into my brain and I would sigh in utter bliss.

Yeah, no.

By the end of Chapter 2, I was so thoroughly and completely disgusted with the blatantly SILLY way that he brought her story back into play that I had to place my bookmark on the page, close the book, and walk away. It was that, or fly to Christopher Pike's house and ask him very plainly, "What were you THINKING?". And where was his EDITOR? Seriously?

Of course, it's -Sita-, man. You have to find out what happens to her, you have to see. After a day or two, when my level of rage over the absolutely insanely boring way he explained things, I picked up the book again.

Boy am I glad I did. I know that not everything Christopher Pike writes is a masterpiece. He's not the most brilliant author, at times his writing is choppy and he is repetitive in a way that makes me grit my teeth, but the story - ah the story! By the end of Chapter 3 I was hooked. I forgot, since it's been nearly a decade since I've read a Christopher Pike novel, that sometimes he starts slow. But then the flow happens and you're drawn into the tightly woven story that keeps you snugged tightly in its arms until it darn well chooses to release you. For me, that was at the very last page, the whispered words that sealed that particular portion of the novel also assured that I will be anxiously awaiting, and pre-ordering, Thirst No. 4. Yes, people, there's another coming. Summer of 2011, it says. Read stories 1 - 6 (or Thirst No 1 and Thirst No 2), Read Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn. Sita dazzles, but not in that sparkly glittery craptastic way that Dear Eddie does...I promise you'll be enchanted.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirst No. 3.

message 1: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve You've said just what I wanted to say. I had the same snarky reservations in the beginning, and then I just couldn't put it down.

RainbowPotato I thought the exact same thing when i read the explanation of why she was still alive and vampirin' around. It was like the stupidest and possibly easiest explanation to come up with. He could've come up with something way better

Hui Leng Its not over, eventhough i thought it was untill i read the 3rd book. What i read in the 3rd book is that the second book or half of the second book is just a story that Seymour made up ( call me crazy but it is what it said in the 3rd book and Sita said something like fate brought us together and blah blah blah ). Sita is still a vampire, Seymour is still sick, they never met but thats gonna change. Just A Story ;] I was really relieved ;D Sorry but I dont have the book with me now. Ill post what she rlly said later

Hui Leng o.O srry bout my last comment. Ima explain again o.e
Its not over, everything in the 2nd book is true except that 1.Sita didnt go back to her past so she still met Yaksha. She did what she was suppose to do and came back. 2nd Seymour never met Sita, still has AIDs, and he wrote the story although he was not in it Real Life.

Srry it's kinda complicated but I tried my best