Katey's Reviews > Eat This And Live For Kids: Simple, Healthy Food & Restaurant Choices that Your Kids Will LOVE!

Eat This And Live For Kids by Don Colbert

Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, first-reads
Recommended for: Most of the USA
Read from October 07 to 08, 2010

I won this in a First Reads Giveaway.

I originally was going to rate this 2, possibly 3 stars, but the end of the book secured its 1 star rating: religious tripe that has no place in a book talking about serious real world pediatric nutrition concerns. It was bad enough having to read through the occasional Bible verse, but to have a whole page dedicated to saving my soul through the Lord Jesus Christ (through the publisher, no less)... too, too much.

Otherwise, I think it's sad a book such as this has to exist. That we live in such a day and age that kids are eating and living unhealthily, and the people "raising" them or deciding to procreate are making the problem worse (or at least not fixing it).

There's plenty of info in here that someone with even a moderate amount of knowledge already about nutrition and child development will know, but I disagree w/the large focus on animal fats and proteins, mostly dairy. The good doctor contradicts himself by first (rightly) saying that we are the only creature on Earth who relies on another mammal's milk for sustenance. That is not natural. Yet many, many of his healthy food suggestions are dairy based.

He does push the importance of organics, and that factory farming has stripped the land of nutrients and replaced it w/toxins, so that's right and good. He and his co-author also write about immunizations, in an intelligent way- suggesting to alter the schedule and omitting some entirely, etc.

But I did not agree with the "healthy" choices listed at fast-food and casual dining restaurants. He should have been point blank about that like he was w/many other subjects and just said "No, you should avoid KFC and McDonald's entirely. It is not healthy."

There were some very, very valid and true points made in this book, but also some very, very silly ones- like the eating out and religious bent. But, if you are seriously reading up and learning about this stuff, hopefully before you procreate, this shouldn't be the only literature you turn to.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat This And Live For Kids.