Maria (Ri)'s Reviews > Toast Mortem

Toast Mortem by Claudia Bishop

Nov 26, 10

bookshelves: cozy-mystery, foodie, mystery, swapped, read-in-2010
Read in November, 2010

I'm sure I would have enjoyed this more if I had not jumped into the series at book #16. Having no history with the Quilliam sisters, I'm just not that invested or interested in them. Having said that, the author seems to phone this one in a bit, throwing lots of characters around but without adding much mystery. In fact, a murder doesn't even happen until halfway through the book. I just didn't feel very compelled to keep reading. Two nights ago I decided to stop reading and go to sleep with only 10 pages left. I just really didn't care much to know whodunit. I would rate this 1.5 stars if I could - not completely terrible writing, but not gripping or very interesting. It felt like the author was just quite bored herself with the series so didn't add much heart to the writing at all.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toast Mortem.

11/19/2010 page 85
38.0% "This was a little slow starting for me, but picked up around page 35 or so. I think that may have to do with learning the characters. This is actually the first Hemlock Falls book I've read! I know, I know. Nothing like starting with the 16th book in a series! :giggle:"