Erik Graff's Reviews > Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge a Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution

Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: history
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Recommended for: everyone
Read in November, 2005, read count: 1

I picked this book off Michael Miley's shelves while visiting him in Sonoma having read previously McKenna's Archaic Revival. Since reading that and Food of the Gods I've enjoyed many hours of listening to recordings of McKenna's lectures.

This book is a highly speculative, yet plausible, account of how human evolution may have been influenced by psychoactive mushrooms. McKenna's claims that low dosages of psychedelics enhance visual acuity and therefore confer reproductive advantage to those populations utilizing them has some credibility as such seems to be the case. Indeed, I recently talked about this with my opthamologist. The drug does expand the pupils, allowing more sensory input. Beyond that, the experience of interpretation seems to be enhanced in ways which might be of use, in low dosages, for hunting. So far as McKenna's claims for am increase in the sex drive, another reproductive advantage, go, I have no opinion. That likely has much to do with set and setting. In any case, I've not experienced it as characteristic nor have I seen literature supporting the assertion.

One is reminded of accounts of modern pygmies smoking marijuana before hunts. It affords them the effective patience to stand still for long periods while awaiting prey. That too is a plausible case of a drug affording a reproductive advantage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Food of the Gods.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt Gunderson "So far as McKenna's claims for am increase in the sex drive, another reproductive advantage, go, I have no opinion."

haha. My thoughts exactly