Dustin Crazy little brown owl's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Oct 07, 2010

bookshelves: goodreads-authors, amazing, read-in-2010, historical-fiction
Read from October 07 to 15, 2010

I absolutely loved this book and I'm really glad I decided to give it a try. I'd call The Help historical fiction because readers are taken to Mississippi in the early 1960's where the story is set around events of the Civil Rights Movement. A fine combination of subtle humor and a dramatic story. The audio version features four different narrators who offer a wonderful presentation of this best-selling novel. Other books that I've read recently and strike a similar chord of heartfelt reality are The Glass Castle and The Bell Jar.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

Robin Dustin, this is a good book. It is well-written, and the characters are very likeable and you sympathize with them also. Good choice.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I'm enjoying it so far - listening to audiobook and there are four different people who give voice to this story. Very well done.

Robin It is a well-written book. This is not your usual genre of book is it?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Robin wrote: "It is a well-written book. This is not your usual genre of book is it?"

I like it. I mostly read mystery/thrillers, but also like to read fine pieces of literature like this one. Anything that grabs my attention will do :-)

Robin that's good, Dustin, Happy reading!

Robin what type of books does John Saul write, I don't offhand recogize that name. I pretty much am saturated with reading in my other groups, but will keep it in mind, once there is a lull in my reading schedule. Thanks, Robin

Dustin Crazy little brown owl John Saul writes Horror :-) Good fun scary stuff :-)

Robin let me think about it,okay?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl :-) Ok. The John Saul group currently has only 4 members, so we'd love to have you.

Robin sure, I'm game, is it really scary horror, or is it palatable?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl It's horror that makes me laugh sometimes such as The Blackstone Chronicles: The Serial Thriller Complete in One Volume :-) don't know if that gives you an idea or not. The group is going to read Black Creek Crossing together in November - I'm excited to re-read that one.

Robin Idk

Dustin Crazy little brown owl It's okay - we'll be there if you decide to join :-)

Robin alright, thanks for the invite. When I get less swamped with books, Ii will see what your group is up to, thanks Dustin. What happened to your group?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Robin wrote: "What happened to your group?"

Which one?

Robin The one about Boulder, the one I joined a while back? How many do you have? Stephen White?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Yes that one is the Stephen White - Alan Gregory group. There's not a whole lot of activity there right now, but when I get started reading the Fall Group Read, I'll start posting again. I now moderate or co-moderate 4 groups because I got added as a moderator in the John Saul Lit Group. The other two are Tess Gerritsen Fans and Koontzland - Dean Koontz :-)

Robin lucky you.LOL