Liza Gilbert's Reviews > Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race

Earth (The Book) by Jon Stewart

2035961
Oct 15, 10

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction

This was a fantastic book on several levels. First, the layout and design is stunning. Earth reminded me of the DK Eyewitness books for kids. There are gorgeous photos and images that draw the reader in, and sometime during the ogling of the images the reader finds him/herself reading all the text.

Second, the humor is spot-on. Even what might be considered crude humor has layers to it, and it seems that Stewart and The Daily Show never made a joke just for the sake of the joke. However, there are several lines that are crossed in this book, and considering that America (The Book) was eventually challenged and banned, I can pretty much guarantee that this one will be as well, if it hasn't been already.

That said, the nudity in several places and multiple centerfolds does not seem gratuitous. Stewart has points he wants to make, mostly ecological and political, and a lot of the hot topic sections merely act as clever covers.

Third, a reader can actually learn things from this book. Stewart et al must have done considerable research for this book. But, you need to be smart enough to know what is actual truth and what is Stewart snark.

I found this to be much more engaging than America (The Book) and I look forward to whatever Stewart chooses to tackle next.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth (The Book).

10/07/2010 page 84
34.0% "Fantastic in 6.3 billion ways. Satire at it's most intelligent, naked, and honest. Beautifully put together with an excellent use of images that brings to mind the layout of DK Eyewitness books (except with more nudity). I hope Mr. Stewart and his team keep writing."

Kristin Now I must read it. I have determined that I read all of "Liza's 5's."

Liza Gilbert Beware the centerfold of Larry King. It will scar you forever.

Kristin Noted. Thanks.

Erika Hébert You are more than correct.