Dave Jones's Reviews > Number in Scripture: Its Supernatural Design and Spiritual Significance

Number in Scripture by E.W. Bullinger

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: bible, spiritual, ebooks
Read from July 07 to August 17, 2012, read count: 2

This is a paradigm-shifting examination of numbers in scripture. Mr. Bullinger shows extraordinary scholarship in this treatise. This was written before Strong's Concordance!

One of the great advantages to owning a Kindle is the portability of a practically infinite number of reference works all in a searchable form. However, this .99 edition is a rip-off. Look elsewhere for a useful reference for this subject. The Greek characters are not rendered well and the Hebrew are not rendered at all. There is no linked index. Essentially, the work was converted from, perhaps, the pdf format to Kindle with no subsequent editing. Tables and parallel lists were victims in this conversion being near-useless as a result. Shame on you Amazon! I thought somebody on your staff would at least briefly look through it and return it to the publishers or at least not charge anything for it. A little bit of a blemish on an otherwise enthusiastically positive overall experience with the Kindle.

Anyway, enough of my Kindle-edition rant. After re-reading it, how did I like the content? My initial review was 5 stars. I tried not to overly punish the late Mr. Bullinger as a result of the poor quality of the Kindle edition. If this had been my first read, I would've given it 2 stars. This re-reading has caused me to re-think my impressions. This book has lost a little of its shine and motivated me to be a little more critical of it.

This book gives an exhaustive detail of the smaller numbers (viz, 1-9). The examination of the bigger numbers less so (with some exceptions e.g. 40, 666). Some of the numbers are not really examined at all. The entry for 27, for example, consists of "being the cube of three." Well, duh!

Despite its shortcomings, this book demonstrates the part that numbers have in the Divine Plan. Bullinger shows us another layer of depth that confirms and/or shows a deeper meaning in scripture passages. It is a good read -- despite its warts -- even a century later. However, I would skip Amazon's .99 version. Buy the dead tree version or Google/Bing for the pdf.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Number in Scripture.

07/07/2012 page 1
0.32% "I picked up this book for next to nothing (.99?) primarily as a reference source. This re-reading is (almost) as much about learning how to navigate this Kindle edition as it is revisiting its content. In that respect, I'm already disappointed! This eBook desperately needs a good index with links. At this point it appears that there are no links! ;-( As an eBook, that will already cost a star or two!"
07/14/2012
9.0% "Kindlewise, I would rate this book as 1 star. No xrefs, diagrams are sabotaged beyond all usefulness, and Hebrew fonts are all messed up. This is ruining this re-read. If you're interested in this read, buy the physical book!"
show 8 hidden updates…