Andi's Reviews > The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines

Oct 15, 10

Read from October 07 to 08, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman was a very good book about a black woman that experienced slavery, the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, Spanish-American War, both world wars, and the beginning of Vietnam War. Miss Jane Pittman told her story to a guy named Ernest J. Gaines. Mr. Gaines recorded every word of what she said and typed it up and made it a book so the world could know her story.

The protagonist of the book is Mrs. Jane Pittman. This book is the story of her life. In the beginning of the book Jane is about the age of 8, she is a slave in New Orleans, Louisiana, and she goes by the name Ticey. It isn’t until a Union soldier visits the plantation she lives on, and calls her Jane Brown, that she starts going by Jane Brown. Later in the book she meets a man named Joe Pittman and she takes on his last name. Joe is Jane’s partner, they are a married couple but they never actually got married. Joe is and a very honorable, brave, and kind black man that breaks wild horses for a living. He is very well respected in this book by both black and white men. However, Joe doesn’t last long in the book he is eventually killed by one of the horses he was trying to break. Ned is like the son she never had. Jane and Ned were the only newly freed slaves to survive the “Secesh” attack. Jane was only eight or nine at the time and Ned was only a toddler but, they were all they had so she raised him like her own until he was old enough to go off and teach other black people about civil rights. Unfortunately his teaching cause him to murdered by a guy named Albert Cluveau.

I don’t really have a favorite part in this book because I liked pretty much all of it. However I did not like the part of the book where all of the newly freed slaves were killed by the “Secesh” including Ned’s mother and baby sister. I found that part very depressing because they were legally freed people but they were killed because word of the proclamation had not yet reached everyone.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy historical books. I also recommend this book to people interested in the civil rights movement and or slavery, and anyone looking for a good book to read. The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman was full of historical happening and it clearly shows what life was like for African-Americans in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.

I personally really enjoyed this book because I am one of those people who are very interested in the United States civil rights movement. I am also really into slavery and books that are very realistic in that they did happen or could happen to someone. I would not recommend this book to people who have a hard time reading southern slang. This is because this book takes place and was written in southern Louisiana and has a very southern dialect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman.

10/07/2010 page 110