Allstarme79's Reviews > Deeper Than Midnight

Deeper Than Midnight by Lara Adrian

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: paranormal, romance
Read from July 05 to 23, 2011

This far into a series, I find myself less excited to read the next installment as resigned to the fact that I know I will, since I have already invested time into the series as a whole. However, I was more interested to read Hunter's story than I was, say, Brock's. And I think it far outshined Brock's story besides.

The problem with these epic paranormal series is that in the beginning, they focus more on the romance and the cadre of vamps, etc and their world. But as they progress, the larger issue at hand - i.e. the bad guy - begins to take over. That said, the love story in this, though prominent, was sort of equal to the attention spent on the overthrow of Dragos and the huge war between him and the Order.

Adrian did a really fabulous job of balancing the growing relationship between Hunter and Corrine and the Order's war. In fact, some of her best writing exists in the second half if this book, in my opinion.

Hunter is by far one of the most intriguing characters she has written because of his past. And he and Corrine share so many similarities due to the fact that they were both captives of Dragos in one way or another. This common bond is a very strong thing to build upon. The addition of her son in the picture made for a really compelling and emotional story.

The Chase aspect that Adrian builds throughout this book is what made me change my mind about him. I never liked him as a secondary character but now, I look forward to his book.

This was a really great read and I guess I have to be glad that the series itself has evolved in the ways I mentioned. I enjoyed it immensely.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deeper Than Midnight.