Shauna's Reviews > The Willoughbys

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry

Oct 07, 10

bookshelves: family-read-aloud

Bleah. Not a great book, but a funny quick read. Much of the humor was lost on the children, I think. I also couldn't stay awake to read it, so it lost some of the fluidity. We missed a couple of night time readings (when it isn't a great book, it is harder to ensure that read aloud happens at night even we have a bunch of other things going on.) I wanted to stop and just go on to something else. (It wasn't a BAD book, I just wanted to read something else,) but the children wanted to finish it.

We are reading the Cat Who Went to Heaven right now. It is also a quick read, but better writing (it's an old Newbery winner from the 60s) Funny, I don't think the topic is as fun in the Willoughby's book, but the children are more excited to read it, and want to keep going at the end of each chapter. Hmm. Do they like it better because the writing is better crafted? Because I like it better? Because they are learning new things about Buddhism? I don't know the precise answer, maybe a conglomeration of all three things?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Willoughbys.