John Maniscalco's Reviews > Pilgrim

Pilgrim by Timothy Findley

M_50x66
Oct 07, 10

Read in October, 2010

A very good work of historical fiction, Pilgrim is one of those books that grabs your attention immediately and contains several suprising twists to keep the suspense going but ends abruptly without answering many questions.

Pilgrim is supposedly an immortal man who has tried several times to commit suicide but fails. He is sent to a phyciatric hospital to be under the care of Carl Jung. While the story is ostensibly about Pilgrim and his supposed "mission," it is arguably more about Jung, his relationships with the women in his life, his profession, and his own mental struggles.

This book had several twists that I could have never anticipated. But, the one problem I had with this book is that it ended rather abruptly. I suppose it's one of those "figure it our for yourself" books with regards to the ending and I won't give my opinion here because it may spoil it. When the reader is informed of Pilgrim's historical experiences, it sounds like that horrible person at cocktail parties that does nothing but name drop. So Pilgrim knew Oscar Wilde, Leonarda Da Vinci, etc. Cool, I guess. It is interesting but the book harped on this aspect a bit too much.

Overall, a good and easy read but somewhat of a disappointing ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pilgrim.