Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Prized

Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien

Oct 09, 11

Read from August 28 to 30, 2011

If the debut book in a series is even semi- good, I will continue with a series. I understand that it is hard for a debut book in a series to knock my socks off because you have significant amount of world building, and brand new characters to introduce. Usually, the plot is deep in the book and so I know patience is the key.

Why I wanted to read book 2 in the Birthmarked series?

I liked book 1 but I did not love it. I did like the 2nd half and because I thought it had potential, I wanted to see where the author was going with the story. Knowing that I liked the 2nd half of book 1, I figured that book 2 would continue where the 2nd half left off.

Sadly, I was wrong. I’m not sure why, but the author chose to start all over again. Book 2 is essentially a completely different book than book 1. Brand new characters, brand new location, and brand new world building.

Now, hold on before you get all your undies in a bunch, I do know that Gaia ended up at the new location because she escaped the Enclave. But for the life of me, I do not understand why the author chose to create an entirely new world with new rules, a new set of problems, and called it the 2nd book in the same series. It’s one thing to move locations. It’s an entirely different thing to move dystopian worlds. And yes, I hear your arguments.

“But Michelle, if the author wants to create a new dystopian world in her book 2 that is her business.”

Well that is good and all, but at least build your world (that is why it is called world building)! Have this new world make sense, and not be pieced together via information dump by various characters. Oh and don’t get me started regarding these characters.

Gaia- What a horrible character she turned out to be. She reminds me of a 10 year old rather than a strong female heroine. She was whiny (yeah, I know I’m whiny too but I’m also not the lead in a book), selfish, indecisive, and pretty damn stupid in her decisions.

Leon- What the hell? Why would the author do this to Leon? I’m not talking about what happens to Leon in this book but what happens to his personality. Seriously, Leon is basically a new character in this book.

All the other ridiculous characters in the book. I honestly believed that the author wrote her story and inserted the characters after the fact. She created flat, boring, one-dimensional characters out of a need to move the story along with a complete disregard to the overall impact those characters would make on the reader. They were either boring or just well… boring.

I was so frustrated with this book. Even writing this review is difficult because it makes me want to rant and considering my writing while calm is a bit rough, my writing while ranting is an adventure in itself (thus, I’ll edit this later when my frustration dies down again).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prized.

08/28/2011
5.0% "I gave bk 1 only 3 stars (not great but ok), I'm usually very rough on dystopian YA books, and I'm even harder on the 2nd book in a series. If this book keeps my interest, it will be a miracle (and I'll be very happy)!"
08/28/2011
5.0% "hmmm... so if everyone that leaves dies for some reason, how did the guy get out, he was obviously gone for a couple days when he found her. Why didn't he die? Just notes to myself. Trying not to use spoilers either."
08/28/2011
23.0% "You know what is one great feature about reading book 2 in UF's and dystopian books? The world building is already done! Well, apparently not. I've read 23% of nothing. Really. No real story yet since we gotta rebuild the world where Gaia is now. So new camp, some weird illness, men with interesting body parts, dictator woman, outcast hoochies & of course, potential lovvvvveee interest." 16 comments
08/28/2011
24.0% "I'm taking a mini-YA book break. If I keep rolling my eyes this much, I'm afraid they'll get stuck in the back of my head!"
08/29/2011
31.0% "I was really going to stop reading this book but then I remembered I felt the same way when I read book 1 and really enjoyed the 2nd half. Sure enough, the book has really started to pick up. I just think the author has weak starts to her books."
08/30/2011
61.0% "I have so many problems with this book but I seem to be caught up in it regardless."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead After only liking book 1, I'm surprised that I really wanted book 2. Whatever the reason, I really liked the end of book 1 so I'm happy to have the ARC for this one.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I got the ARC for this one too. I'll probably start it next week.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "I got the ARC for this one too. I'll probably start it next week."

Same here!

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Great review, Michelle. I thought that Leon was the only one who actually saved the story by throwing all the Sylum nonsense back in their faces.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "Great review, Michelle. I thought that Leon was the only one who actually saved the story by throwing all the Sylum nonsense back in their faces."

Exactly!

message 6: by papalbina (new) - added it

papalbina I'm happy to read Leon will be back, but I'm quite WTF? with the whole sylum story and what u said about then characters development. I was expecting continuity, that sounds like a completely different book v.v

Please at least tell me Leon and Gaia are still an item... In other case I'll skip this one and invest my time (and money) in something worth it ;)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead papalbina wrote: "I'm happy to read Leon will be back, but I'm quite WTF? with the whole sylum story and what u said about then characters development. I was expecting continuity, that sounds like a completely diffe..."

Would "sort of" count as answer?

message 8: by papalbina (new) - added it

papalbina Yes, sort of... And I don't think it's enough xD I think i wait for the third book and see want happens then. thanks for the review, it's great ;)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead papalbina wrote: "Yes, sort of... And I don't think it's enough xD I think i wait for the third book and see want happens then. thanks for the review, it's great ;)"

LOL... I don't want to ruin the book for you & I don't want to lie to you! I think your plan is perfect.