Keli Gwyn's Reviews > Ransome's Honor

Ransome's Honor by Kaye Dacus

Oct 07, 10

Wow! Ransome's Honor by Kaye Dacus is a winner. From first page to last, I was swept into the world of Regency England, brought to life through her vivid descriptions. I could visualize the bustling town of Portsmouth, smell the salty sea air and hear the lap of waves against the hulls of the Royal Navy's magnificent sailing ships.

Amidst the spectacular setting, we encounter a wonderful cast of characters. I liked both Captain William Ransome, the epitome of a distinguished naval officer, and Julia Witherington, a bright, determined, resourceful admiral's daughter. The secondary characters, from Julia's garrulous best friend to William's unrefined but well-intentioned steward-cum-valet, are engaging, although Dacus crafted a set of scheming scoundrels sure to raise your hackles, especially the blackguard Sir Drake Pembroke.

Rejected by Lieutenant Ransome, seventeen-year-old Julia vowed never to forgive him for not proposing to her, as all believed he would. When circumstances bring them together twelve years later, they must face one another--and their long-denied feelings. Now a captain complete with fame and fortune, William is pressed into service as Julia's protector. When deceitful relatives unveil a plan to rob her of her sizable dowry and force her to marry a cousin she reviles, she turns to the man her father loves as a son, the same man who shattered her heart. To keep her from harm, William agrees to the business arrangement she offers him--a one-year marriage in name only--in exchange for her legacy. But can they deny their reemerging feelings for one another?

Dacus is a talented author. I read her contemporaries, Stand-in Groom and Menu for Romance, and enjoyed both. I wondered, however, if her voice would lend itself to historical romance. Indeed, it does. Her research and attention to detail are remarkable, as are her command of the fashions, furnishings and dialogue of the period. She does a fine job incorporating the faith element into Ransome's Honor and has produced an inspirational Regency I enthusiastically recommend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ransome's Honor.