N_hannahkang's Reviews > Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale

Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems

U_50x66
Oct 07, 10

bookshelves: picture-books

** spoiler alert ** Most children have attachments to their baby blankets or stuffed animals - for Trixie it was her little Knuffle Bunny. Although the story follows similar story lines (the child loses the prized item, the child is devastated, and eventually the child, with the help of an adult, finds the prized item); the illustrations are unique and unexpected since they are presented through mixed media. The characters are cartoons whereas the background pictures are photographs. Readers can catch a glimpse into a typical New York City day for Trixie, her mother, and father through the wonderful photographs. Willems creates a realistic setting (not only through his photographs of New York City - it looks like Brooklyn) but through the family's errands like going to the "LAUNDROMAT." Since most families do not have access to in-unit washers and dryers - most families would need to visit a laundry mat.

I enjoyed seeing Trixie's father take his daughter to the laundry mat - perhaps Willems is attempting to break some gender stereotypes? However, this may be the only one since the father neglects to notice that he has placed Knuffle Bunny in the wash and he fails to "listen" to his daughter screech "Aggle flaggle klabble!" and Wumby flappy?!" Then again, both mother and father save Knuffle Bunny - the mother realizes the father's error when she asks "Where's Knuffle Bunny?" and the father searches furiously to find Knuffle Bunny. Readers (anyone 3 years old to 10 years old plus adults) will be enjoy the facial expressions of both father and Trixie.

I will add this book to my collection - especially since I know my husband, a true New Yorker, will enjoy reading stories where he can catch glimpses of his "home" through a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knuffle Bunny.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

N_hannahkang funny - i didn't read the description until after i wrote my post. it is brooklyn! dave would be proud.

message 2: by 529_allie (new)

529_allie I love Knuffle Bunny, and it is a favorite of my students year after year. The pictures really make the story come alive!