Paquita Maria Sanchez's Reviews > Wise Blood

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor

Dec 07, 10

bookshelves: literature

Hey, kids! It's time for a game of Choose Your Own Adventure: Southern Gothic Literary Analysis Edition. Please select from the following options:

1. You are a Christian bordering on Calvinist who wants metaphorical reassurance that you are a part of the spiritual elect, and you want a real martyr of a sinner to guide you through the steps to grace: Hazel Motes returns from the war to find that he has no one, nothing, and nowhere to turn. In defiance, he rejects the lord (human nature, a necessary step) and starts his own church in an attempt to persuade people that sin is natural, Jesus is a fictitious concept, and that attempting to achieve grace and redemption through the conscious rejection of sin is, basically, a fool's errand. Of course, God has already selected Motes as a member of his posse, so he eventually cannot help but crawl toward the most savage acts of masochism and self-deprivation in order to achieve a thumbs-up from his creator. Thank God for mental illness!

2. You are an atheist who loves to explore the damaging effects that religion can have on society, particularly underprivileged, under-educated, and otherwise vulnerable individuals: Hazel Motes returns from the war to find that he has no one, nothing, and nowhere to turn. In defiance, he rejects "the lord" (finally) and starts his own church in an attempt to explain to other brainwashed people that sin is natural, "Jesus" is a fictitious concept, and that attempting to achieve "grace" and "redemption" through the rejection of "sin" is, in fact, a fool's errand. Of course, Motes has been programmed from an early age to believe that god has already selected him as a member of his posse, so he eventually (foolishly, depressingly) cannot help but crawl toward the most savage acts of masochism and self-deprivation in order to achieve a thumbs-up from his supposed creator. Thank god for ignorance! Sheesus.

3. You are uncertain about religion, but love to read books with a creepy religious undertone, despicable characters, rotting things, decaying road-signs, illness, degradation, spiritual defeat, handicaps, boils, suffering, old-fashion poverty-stricken whorishness and a general David-Finchery lens coloring and dinginess to everything within a nightmare-carnival setting: Hazel Motes has a shit life. He lives in some oddly eloquent alter-ego of a Rob Zombie movie. He turns to God(?) and it works out(?) Thank gawd for Flannery O’Connor!

*Side note: This book is a ball-crusher, and not for the faint of heart. I mean, no matter how you spin it, it is BLEAK. Don't read it while experimenting with different anti-depression medications or anything. You’ve been warned.

*Side side note: Cormac McCarthy and Flannery O’Connor should have made babies. Lots of babies.

*Side side side note: This is an extremely stripped down description of what’s going on in this book, and in that right it is a bit unsure of itself (the review…certainly not the book). I fully acknowledge that I am not doing ole’ Flanny flan justice, and for that I’m sorry. I’m on my break and out of time. More later(?)
121 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wise Blood.

message 1: by D. (last edited Oct 07, 2010 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

D. Pow Good shit, not-dude.

Eddie Watkins I hate when men call women dude.

I hate when men call men dude.

However, I like when women call men boy and I like when men call men bitch.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I prefer BATCH or BOTCH. The air-headier the better, boyeeeeeeeeeeeee.

message 4: by D. (last edited Oct 07, 2010 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

D. Pow edited my post...

btw, you are a BITCH, eddie.

message 5: by David (last edited Oct 07, 2010 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Oops, I just called Jimmy Cline a dude -- but not as a direct address -- is that okay?

I love calling men bitch. Especially Donald.

Donald likes calling himself The Don for some reason. (Depersonalization Syndrome? Thinks he's a mafia boss?)

I didn't like this book. It gave me some sort of sinus headache.

message 6: by D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D. Pow hello, David, you stuck up bitch.

as far as diagnosis I think it's more 'Depersonalization Syndrome' than the other.

Eddie Watkins Women calling women dude is kind of sexy, as long as those women aren't jocks.

David How do you feel about Paula Poundstone calling Jodie Foster dude?

message 9: by D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D. Pow I think women jocks can be sexy. unless they are bodybuilders or something.

David Yeah, The Don likes the Russian female shotputters.

message 11: by Eddie (last edited Oct 07, 2010 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eddie Watkins They're both too old to be engaging in such banter.

I'll rephrase:

College girls wearing baseball caps with ponytails pulled through the hole in the back calling each other dude is sexy, as long as they're not jocks.

David I like when women refer to each other as hymen. I've never actually witnessed it, but it sounds kind of neat.

I like referring to Eddie Watkins as Eddie Watkins, both first and last names. The same with Mike Reynolds or Michael Reynolds.

message 13: by Krok Zero (new)

Krok Zero Check out John Huston's film version, it is appropriately fucked up.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Krokophilia wrote: "Check out John Huston's film version, it is appropriately fucked up."

Thanks for the tip, dude-bitch. I'll get all my hymen together and we'll watch it together while we bench-press.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio u all b mah main, thick azz betches.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Hip-hop culture slang? At this hour? You start slurping down that juice pretty early these days, eh, betch?

Paquita Maria Sanchez BTW, TWSS. Botch.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Nah, I'm intoxicated purely on life at the moment. It's weird.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Mama's proud!

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Thanks, u luddly betch!

(Now I'm gonna get intoxicated on the vapors of a certain plant's dried flowers. Life only works for so long, ya know.)

Paquita Maria Sanchez Don't forget to get back on goodreads and chat with people when you're all fuzzy-faced and foggy-headed.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Kristi wrote: "Don't forget to get back on goodreads and chat with people when you're all fuzzy-faced and foggy-headed."

That's usually how I roll on this site. Real talk!

message 23: by Ademption (new)

Ademption Kristi wrote: "Thanks for the tip, dude-bitch. I'll get all my hymen together and we'll watch it together while we benchpress"

I'm here for the Olivia Newton-John "Physical" imagery. That's my takeaway from this book.

The Huston film is much like you described in your review before everything got all sweaty with headbands and spandex.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio That video is too gay. Even for me.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I am tearing up. My roommate is working on a joke-black-metal-song as I watch this. The juxtaposition is just too much. Oh, and no one told me that Olivia Newton John practiced the rare art of "straight eye for the queer guy."

Paquita Maria Sanchez MyFleshSingsOut wrote: That's usually how I roll on this site. Real talk!"

You're the straight talk express, muh man.

message 27: by Ademption (new)

Ademption MyFleshSingsOut wrote: "That video is too gay. Even for me."

You turned off too soon. The ripped guys turn all fat and degenerate, and with all the exercisin' and non-entendre-- Wise Blood, man, Wise Blood.

message 28: by David (last edited Oct 07, 2010 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David I remember when we had to do aerobics to 'Physical' in Catholic grade school gym class. No one ever considered the subtle implications of 'let me hear your body talk' or 'let's get ANimal, ANimal, I wanna get ANimal...'

Ahhhh, memories...

Paquita Maria Sanchez See message 20, and you may perhaps forgive MFSO for his currently short attention-span.

Paquita Maria Sanchez David wrote: "I remember when we had to do aerobics to 'Physical' in Catholic grade school gym class. No one ever considered the subtle implications of 'let me hear your body talk.'

Ahhhh, memories..."

I hope that the pelvic-thrust scene on the treadmill was involved in the routine...

message 31: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Oct 07, 2010 06:29PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Kristi wrote: "See message 20, and you may perhaps forgive MFSO for his currently short attention-span."

Huh? Wha? Dooooooood...

Drugs are good, no matter what David says Nancy Reagan said to Gary Coleman.

David Hey, you can just replace Olivia with a Catholic priest and it's instant nostalgia.

David

AGAIN... I have to mention it...

Gary Coleman is actually the one who's currently dead out of that duo!

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio David wrote: "Hey, you can just replace Olivia with a Catholic priest and it's instant nostalgia."

AAL!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Try TEARS of laughter. Then again, I'm drinking...

Paquita Maria Sanchez And where is the lovely Karen's voice in all this mess? Did you fellas lock her in a closet due to her ever-trumping funniness?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio She's busy in the analogue world. She's meeting people normally communicated via computers in Portland. The Oregon one.

Paquita Maria Sanchez MyFleshSingsOut wrote: "She's busy in the analogue world. She's meeting people normally communicated via computers in Portland. The Oregon one."

It's a stretch, but TWSS, all the same...

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio She did indeed say something to me like that.

Paquita Maria Sanchez MyFleshSingsOut wrote: "She did indeed say something to me like that."

How fuckin' LITERAL. Literally.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Hyper-literal to the over-driven max of uber-literalness, literally.

Paquita Maria Sanchez You hyper-literally just literally hyper-literally expressed my hyper-literally literal sentiments. Hyper-literally-literally.

message 43: by Sai (new)

Sai Esquivel damn you have so many readers myself now included -

Paquita Maria Sanchez WOOP WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP! Fuck yeah, yo! I've actually seen a goodreads friend in person, and recently! A new development, and one worth noting.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Kristi wrote: "WOOP WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP! Fuck yeah, yo! I've actually seen a goodreads friend in person, and recently! A new development, and one worth noting."

In the last few minutes?

message 46: by Paquita Maria (last edited Oct 07, 2010 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez Within approximately 27 hours I done seen him, approximately 15 hours away by car. A real friend! A real person! SAI! I'm listening to Sad Sad Bicycle right now. You'll note the mark-ups in your myspace viewing...I'm too lazy to download everything from email.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Ahh, I seeeeee now.

Paquita Maria Sanchez MyFleshSingsOut wrote: "Ahh, I seeeeee now."

I believe that it's called being blinded by the light, and wrapped up like a deuce...

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio More like by cats, but yes.

Paquita Maria Sanchez You were wrapped up by cats, or deuced on by cats?

« previous 1