Jacinda's Reviews > Prized

Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from August 31 to September 02, 2011

*This is the second book in the Birthmarked series. This review may contain spoilers for the first book*

I read Birthmarked, the first book in the series, prior to having a blog of my own. Of course that means I never reviewed it. I can tell you it was a book I absolutely knew I would want to read the sequel too. Many first books in a series I read and never have the desire to pick up book number two…Birthmarked had me wanting to read Prized right after reading the last page. I even picked up my review copy the day after I received it, that’s how much I wanted to read this book!

Birthmarked initially was written as a stand-alone. You could never tell by how well everything flows together from book one to book two. We’re left in book one with Gaia leaving the Enclave with her baby sister and we have no idea what’s in-store for her.

Gaia is brought into a different society of people in Prized. In book one and in book two, the lives of everyone revolve around genetics…it’s a huge part of the story. The problems with genetics are totally different from the two books. Gender roles are flipped within this different group of people. I was surprised by this, but it does make sense for what the characters are living through, but at the same time I personally hate it. A villain who you wouldn’t expect is in Prized, I seriously despised her from the beginning. I could see where many people may sympathize with her…I loathed her.

I normally am someone who complains about having to learn about a whole new world when the book is a second in a series. This book is the exception to the rule for me…I enjoyed learning the ways of a completely different set of people in the same world and time. The people and society Gaia stumbles upon is Prized in different than anything else I’ve ever read. the world stands out on it’s own.

If you’re looking for a dystopian unlike any other the others out there right now, the Birthmarked series is for you! I can’t wait to see what Caragh has in-the-works for us for book number three!

Sidenote: Gaia gets herself stuck in what she calls a “love square” which had me dying laughing. It works well for the story because of the situation the characters are in.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prized.

08/31/2011 page 50
09/01/2011 page 207
56.0% "I absolutely LOVE this series! :) And I want to throw Leon through a window right now..."

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Oh, I am so glad the second one is good. I really enjoyed the first:)

Jacinda Cindy wrote: "Oh, I am so glad the second one is good. I really enjoyed the first:)"

I loved it! Maybe even more than Birthmarked :)

message 3: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I'm really glad to hear that. I can't wait to read it:D

message 4: by Shawyon (new)

Shawyon Shirazi I really enjoyed this book so much! I absolutely love this series, and I'm always at the edge of my seat whenever I read it. I liked how Caragh O'Brien made this transition into a whole other setting in this dystopian world. It shows that in a futuristic world, all societies are not all the same, and that there are different types of them. The two shown in book one and book two has very different types of societies, but they are definitely a realistic possibility and something that could actually happen. In the first book, there is that ruling family where men had the advantage over women like nowadays and the main concern is producing healthy babies due to the lack of diversifying the gene pool. On the other hand in the second book, it has a single leader who ruled a society where women are dominant and the main goal is to actually produce as many babies as possible due to the shortage of women. In a book for example Divergent, it really only shows a world with a single type of society unlike in the Birthmarked series.