Mandy Moody's Reviews > Sandman Slim

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Oct 14, 10

bookshelves: fanstasy, mattmademereadit
Read in October, 2010

A cross between Supernatural (the television series) and The Craft (the movie) - I absolutely loved this one.

Sandman Slim is the story of James Stark - the only human to have ever gone into Hell alive. He survived there for 11 years, becoming the "monster that kills monsters" and earning the nickname Sandman Slim - though he's not aware of that until about halfway through the novel.
Stark manages to steal a key that allows him access to the room of 13 doors - a place that lets him go anywhere he wishes, including back to earth. Thus he escapes Hell and begins his journey of revenge. He's out to kill the magicians that sent him to Hell and killed his girlfriend, and he'll stop at nothing to get the job done.

The language Kadrey used in this novel was so gritty, so real, so full of wit - it grabbed me and never let go. I'm a sucker for prose. This is not prose. It's something more. Breathtaking is too sweet a word...but it did knock the wind out of me. I think certain descriptions will always stay with me -the paragraph that begins "I hate guys that love glocks" was one of my favorites. The one about the directors Land Rover "he thinks he can four-wheel his way out of the apocolypse" was another.

This is a total "guy" book - and I adored it. Will be reading the sequel soon!!!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandman Slim.

Sandi I downloaded this to my Nook today. It was their Free Friday selection. I do have a lot of books to get through before I get to this one though.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I also snagged this one for free and am looking forward to reading it. I thought I was lucky in my timing, I didn't realize that every Friday had a new book available. Where do you go to find the free books? I came across this one by chance.

Mandy Moody I hope you both like it! I thought it was fantastic. You should bump it to the top of your to-read, Sandi - it's a very quick read! I finished it 3 or 4 days by just reading here and there.

Sandi Kathryn wrote: "I also snagged this one for free and am looking forward to reading it. I thought I was lucky in my timing, I didn't realize that every Friday had a new book available. Where do you go to find the ffree books?"

There are several ways. If you have a Nook, check your Daily on Friday. It's always announced in the Unbound blog. You can also access the Unbound blog at Barnes & Noble's website too. Sometimes, but not always, they list it in the Shop section on the Nook in the promotions, usually the last page. If they do have it there, that's the easiest way to get it because selecting the promotion directs you straight to the book.

message 5: by Sandi (last edited Oct 16, 2010 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sandi Mandy wrote: "I hope you both like it! I thought it was fantastic. You should bump it to the top of your to-read, Sandi - it's a very quick read! I finished it 3 or 4 days by just reading here and there."

I'll start it as soon as I'm done with Anathem and Saturn's Children.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Sandi wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I also snagged this one for free and am looking forward to reading it. I thought I was lucky in my timing, I didn't realize that every Friday had a new book available. Where do you ..."

Thanks Sandi!