Kechelle's Reviews > Echoes

Echoes by Jackie Hyman

Oct 27, 10

bookshelves: horror, supernatural, read-and-reviewed
Read from October 07 to 21, 2010

Jackie Hyman was born 1949 in Menard Texas. Jackie once worked as a journalist for the associated press. Jackie has published under four different pen names and has written over eighty novels.

In the small town of San Paradiso, California strange things are happening. A serial killer is hunting women, a former actress is being threatened with less than savoury photos of a sexual act that she can’t recall committing. A senator is murdered in front of an audience and people are claiming to see copies of people, who look exactly like the person but act in strange ways.

(Babble sequence.)

One of my favourite past times is book savaging I raid op shops, garage sales and second hand book shops for novels to read. Echoes was found on an op shop expedition, which is kind of like lucky dip, you don’t always know what you are getting. Unfortunately I didn’t do so well in the lucky dip this time.

(End babble sequence.)

Extremely hard read, I was tempted to give up on this novel many times. I stuck it out because I see reading as learning and I need all the education I can get.

The plot was very transparent you could see what would happen next before you’d turned the page. The characters were fairly one dimensional and I didn’t feeling anything for them. I struggled with the constant chop and change of scenes and the confusion of way to many characters in too small a book.

I think perhaps I’d of liked the novel a lot better with fewer characters and perhaps a little empathises on Rita Long who seemed the most interesting character in the novel.

I’ll remember to be more cautious next time I visit the op shop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echoes.

10/07/2010 page 5