♥Xeni♥'s Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, historical, southern, true-crime, humor, crime, mystery, own, fiction
Recommended for: everyone!
Read from October 22 to 25, 2010, read count: 1

This was an impossible book, that just got more charming the more I read it!

Written like a memoir, and based on true facts, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is a wonderful description of just one town, with all it's charm, derelicts and traditions.

I love every single word of this book; there was so much satire and in-context humor that made it so hilarious, but at the same time, the story was serious and down-to-earth in a way that you don't find much anymore.

The writing style kept me going when the plot got a bit dull, and when the plot sped up, the writing style kept it humorous. But I think what I loved most are the crazy characters that the narrator runs into all over the town. Because he is willing to go on an adventure, and listen when people talk, does the narrator get a wonderful story, complete with all aspects of social life (something which is just part of daily live in the South).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

10/22/2010 page 150
36.0% "I can't put this book down! I started last night at around 9pm and just read 4 hours straight! It's so funny and well written and invigorating!"
10/23/2010 page 303
73.0% "I was shocked when the second verdict came out! Also, I keep loving this story, the characters are fresh and the plot is charming and always adds something new. The book never gets tedious, it couldn't if it tried!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie have you watch the movie with john cusack? the lady chablis plays herself, i would love to just hang out around savannah!

♥Xeni♥ Woah, wait, there is a movie?!?! I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight!

(Instead of reading the 50 new ebooks I just got...)

Stephanie i really like the movie...um, it has kevin spacey, john cusack, jude law, was directed by clint eastwood...really, in this case, it's ok to put the books down! :D

message 4: by ♥Xeni♥ (last edited Aug 20, 2011 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♥Xeni♥ Downloading it right now. It's exciting!

Ohhhh, directed by Clint Eastwood! It *has* to be amazing then!

Stephanie so true! tell me what you think of it.

♥Xeni♥ I watched about 20% of it earlier, then had to go. So far it's a bit different from the book... but I suppose they had to change events so that they made more sense for a viewing audience.

♥Xeni♥ So, I watched it last night.

I do prefer the book. It was a lot more detailed, and really went into the different characters. I liked that a lot more. but it wasn't bad!! And it has an amazing soundtrack! I need to find a copy of this soundtrack! I love that end song!

Stephanie yes, the soundtrack is amazing! and, i agree the book gives so much background of each character, even uga gets his whole section. i always prefer books more, but this movie doesn't disappoint me the way some movies about books do.

♥Xeni♥ That is a good point. The book-to-movie comparability is very good here! I will put that down to Clint Eastwood's amazingness, I think. :D

Stephanie definitely clint (we're on a first name basis)...always clint! :D