Brad Lyerla's Reviews > Red Gold

Red Gold by Alan Furst

Oct 06, 10

RED GOLD is Furst's sequel to WORLD AT NIGHT. Jean Paul Casson, former film producer before the Nazi occupation, is in hiding from the Gestapo. He barely survives by selling his old clothes to pay the rent for the seedy Parisian hotels where he just manages to exist. Casson is a deeply sympathetic character. As he evades the Germans, he nurses a broken heart over a lost love that nearly drove him to a break down before the war.

Then he is contacted by operatives for De Gaulle's loyalist party. He is asked to act as intermediary between the loyalists and the communists to coordinate anti-Nazi activities, including sabotage and gun running. This is tricky because they despise and distrust each other, almost as much as they hate the Nazis.

The "red gold" of the title refers ironically to the fact that the communists are well-financed from Moscow.

Furst is just the best at telling stories of this sort. I could not put this book down. And I am pleased to report that, apparently, there is a sequel that I will have to get my hands on quickly. RED GOLD ends with a very provocative set up for the next adventure in Casson's career as a resistance fighter.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Gold.