Rachel's Reviews > Peach Cobbler Murder

Feb 28, 15

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, 2010, 2013, women-authors, hannah-swensen
Read from November 07 to 08, 2010

This review contains complaining. You've be fairly warned.

Here's the one thing that drives me absolutely bananas about Joanne Fluke's cookie-baking Minnesotan heroine Hannah Swensen: She nitpicks about other people's grammar during conversations. I know that Hannah's background is of a potential MA in English before her dad dies and she goes home to Lake Eden to open her cookie business, but enough is enough. I'm a book editor and I am paid to fix bad grammar, but I don't get distracted by inner dialogue with myself when someone puts a preposition at the end of a sentence or mangles the objective case when I am talking to them. Hannah bakes cookies and solves murders, and this is why I keep going back for more. Informal spoken English is a lot different than formal written English, and it is the spoken language that will inform the written language over time as both forms of language develop. So your sister bobbles the subjunctive -- SUCK IT UP AND DEAL. Most people do bobble the subjunctive or occasionally misuse the objective case. You are a baker, Hannah. Let it go. When I am trying to unwind at the end of the day and put everyone else's bad grammar behind me, I don't need you grammarsnarking on your family members! CUT IT OUT!

Phew. I'm so glad I got that off my chest.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peach Cobbler Murder.

03/04 marked as: read