Vivian's Reviews > How the García Girls Lost Their Accents

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

Oct 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I found this book really challenging to read since it wasn't from anyone's perspective. It also described the 4 Garcia girls which made it even harder for me since i didn't know who was who. It got a little easier after a while though because there were different chapters about the different girls. i like Yolanda the best, she seems very independent but i think she was too independent to spend her life with someone else. Not only that but i found her pretty powerful with what she wants.
At first i didnt really understand the reason or purpose of this book, but i continued reading and found it was about how immigrants felt and were treated after coming to America. i found Carla's life pretty sad because she was sexual harassed and she didnt really understand english which obvious made it harder for her. i do agree with the author on how people do start to lose their original culture after living in America because i can no longer say my own native language. But i understand it, which doesn't really help me much when i actually do go back but it's better than nothing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the García Girls Lost Their Accents.