Monica's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Feb 15, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

Quotes Monica Liked

Rick Riordan
“I'm Dylan. I'm so cool. I want to date myself, but I don't know how! You want to date me instead? You're so lucky!”

Rick Riordan
“Even little Herley, who couldn't have been more than eight, looked like he could go six rounds with Chuck Norris without breaking a sweat.”

Rick Riordan
“Cool" Leo said. "I always wanted a sister who could beat me up.”

Rick Riordan
“Hold up," Leo said. "You guys lost a dragon? A Real full size dragon?”

Rick Riordan
“You..." The centaur's eyes flared like a cornered animal's. "You should be dead.”

Rick Riordan
“Zeus looked like a really buff, really angry hippie.”

Rick Riordan
“Jason scratched his head. "You named him Festus? You know that in Latin, ‘festus’ means ‘happy’? You want us to ride off to save the world on Happy the Dragon?”

Rick Riordan
“Shut up, me,” Leo said aloud.
“What?” Piper asked.
“Nothing,” he said. “Long night. I think I’m hallucinating. It’s cool.”
Sitting in front, Leo couldn’t see their faces, but he assumed from their silence that his friends were not pleased to have a sleepless, hallucinating dragon driver.
“Just joking.” Leo decided it might be good to change the subject.”

Rick Riordan
“Can we just call them storm spirits?” Leo asked. “Venti makes them sound like evil espresso drinks.”

Rick Riordan
“Piper patted his shoulder. “Trust me, Valdez. Beautiful people never lie.”

Rick Riordan
“She’s pretty,” Zethes mumbled. “I mean, she’s right.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: “I can’t believe I thought you were hot.”
Khione’s face turned red. “Hot? You dare insult me? I am cold, Leo Valdez. Very, very cold.”

Rick Riordan
“They both (Thalia and Hera) glared at her, and for three long seconds, Piper wasn’t sure which one of them was going to kill her first.”

“Die!
--Gleeson Hedge”

Rick Riordan
“Hi,” Piper said, as casually as she could. “We’re back.”

“Oh, and Drew, honey?”
The former counselor looked back reluctantly.
“In case you think I’m not a true daughter of Aphrodite,” Piper said, “don’t even look at Jason Grace. He may not know it yet, but he’s mine. If you even try to make a move, I will load you into a catapult and shoot you across Long Island Sound.”
Drew turned around so fast, she ran into the doorframe. Then she was gone.”

Rick Riordan
“Vulcan?" Leo demanded. "I don't even LIKE Star Trek!”

Rick Riordan
“What's Cabin Nine?" Leo asked. "And I'm not a Vulcan!"
"Come on, Mr. Spock, I'll explain everything.”

Rick Riordan
“It's first owner...well, things didn't turn out too well for her. Her name was Helena.'
Piper let that sink in. "Wait, you mean the Helena? Helena of Troy?'
Annabeth nodded.
"And it's just sitting in your toolshed?”

Rick Riordan
“Destroy it?' Leo was appalled. 'You've got a life-size bronze dragon, and you want to destroy it?'
'It breathes fire,' Nyssa explained. 'It's deadly and out of control.'
'But it's a dragon!”

Rick Riordan
“Cabin Fifteen does that to everyone," Annabeth warned. "If you ask me, this place is even more dangerous than the Ares cabin. At least with Ares, you can learn where the land mines are."
"Land mines?”

Rick Riordan
“Yes,' she said. 'The Great Prophecy has begun.'
Pandemonium broke out.”

Rick Riordan
“Who's the other kid in the photo?' he asked. 'The sandy-haired guy.'
Annabeth's expression tightened. Touchy subject.
'That's Luke,' she said. 'He's dead now.”

Rick Riordan
“He issued orders to us: demigods who come to us for aid are no longer to be tolerated. We are to crush your little mortal faces.'
There was an uncomfortable silence.
'That sounds...extreme,' Jason ventured.”

Rick Riordan
“If I'm dead," he murmured. "Why does it hurt so much?”

Rick Riordan
“Is that me?,' Leo said. 'Like me--having this dream--looking at me having a dream?”

Rick Riordan
“That's why we live by a river. Occasionally, I forget and pat Lit on the back--'
'I hate that.'
King Midas & Lit”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: Rainbows. Very macho.
Annabeth: Butch is our best equestrian, he gets along great with the pegasi.
Leo: Rainbows, ponies...
Butch: I'm gonna toss you off this chariot.”

Rick Riordan
“Hera: Ohh, Thalia Grace, when I get out of here, you'll be sorry you were ever born.
Thalia: Save it! You've been nothing but a curse to every child of Zeus for ages. You sent a bunch of intestinally challenged cows after my friend Annabeth
Hera: She was disrespectful!
Thalia: You dropped a statue on my legs.
Hera: It was an accident!
Thalia: AND you took my brother”

Rick Riordan
“Leo dropped into the pool and approched the cage. "Hola, Tia. Little bit of trouble?"
She [Hera] crossed her arms and sighed in exasperation. "Don't inspect me like I'm one of your machines, Leo Valdez. Get me out of here!”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: "So...giants who can throw mountains. Friendly wolves that will eat us if we show weakness. Evil espresso drinks. Gotcha. Maybe this isn't the best time to bring up my psycho babysitter."
Piper: "Is that another joke?”

Rick Riordan
“Aphrodite strikes again, huh? You're gonna be the best-dressed warrior in town, beauty queen.”

Rick Riordan
“She reached into her coat pocket and felt two things she hadn't expected.... One was a wad of cash... she brought out the money. Leo whistled. "Allowance? Piper, your mom rocks!”

Rick Riordan
“I'm not good with children," the god confessed. "Or people. Well, any organic life forms, really.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo's biggest surprise: One look from Jason, and all three of them knew the game plan. When had that happened, that they could read each other so well?”

Rick Riordan
“Ut cum spiritu postrema sacramentum dejuremus," he chanted. "Et hostes ornamenta addent ad ianuam necem."
"You just...finished the prophesy,"Rachael stammered. "-An oath to keep with a final breath/And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death. How did you-"
"I know those lines." Jason winced and put his hands to his temples. "I don't know how, but I KNOW that prophecy."
"In Latin, no less," Drew called out. "Handsome AND smart.”

Rick Riordan
“We started this together, Leo. Seems only right you come along. You find us a ride, you're in."
"Yes!" Leo pumped his fist.
* * * * *
Jason gazed up at the dragon and shook his head in amazement. "Leo, what have you done?"
"Found a ride!" Leo beamed. "You said I could go on the quest if I got you a ride. Well, I got you a class-A metallic flying bad boy! Festus can take us anywhere!”

Rick Riordan
“I want some time without you organic life forms.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo frowned at the giant's spire. "Can't we blow it up or something?"
"Without me, you do not have the power," Hera said. "You might as well try to destroy a mountain."
"Done that once today," Jason said.”

Rick Riordan
“Nothing lasts forever, not even the best machines. And everything can be reused.
- Hephaestus”

Rick Riordan
“Great victory requires great risk.
-Hera”

Rick Riordan
“My point is that love is the most powerful motivator in the world. It spurs mortals to greatness. Their noblest, bravest acts are done for love.”

Rick Riordan
“But beauty is about finding the right fit, the most natural fit, To be perfect, you have to feel perfect about yourself --- avoid trying to be something you're not. For a goddess, that's especially hard. We can change so easily.
-Aphrodite”

Rick Riordan
“So, destroy?" Cal asked. Clearly, the conversation was giving his two brain cells a serious workout.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo cried, "Hold on! Let's have some manners here. Can I at least find out who has the honor of destroying me?"
"I am Cal!" the ox grunted. He looked very proud of himself, like he'd taken a long time to memorize that sentence.
"That's short for Calais," the love god said. "Sadly, my brother cannot say words with more than two syllables--"
"Pizza! Hockey! Destroy!" Cal offered.
"--which includes his own name," the love god finished.
"I am Cal," Cal repeated. "And this is Zethes! My brother!"
"Wow," Leo said. "That was almost three sentences, man! Way to go."
Cal grunted, obviously pleased with himself.
"Stupid buffoon," his brother grumbled. "They make fun of you. But no matter. I am Zethes, which is short for Zethes. And the lady there--" He winked at piper, but the wink was more like a facial seizure. "She can call me anything she likes. Perhaps she would like to have dinner with a famous demigod before we must destroy you?”

Rick Riordan
“Destroy them later?" Cal offered, which was probably as close to friendly as he ever got.”

Rick Riordan
“It'll be dangerous," Nyssa warned him. "Hardship, monsters, terrible suffering. Possibly none of you will come back alive."
"Oh." Suddenly Leo didn't look so excited. Then he remembered everyone was watching. "I mean... Oh, cool! Suffering? I love suffering! Let's do this.”

Rick Riordan
“You must forge your own path for it to mean anything.”

Rick Riordan
“Don't stay in one place too long. It was the only way to stay ahead of the sadness.”

Rick Riordan
“That's it, cupcake. You're going down.”