Beanbag Love's Reviews > Taken by Midnight

Taken by Midnight by Lara Adrian

Oct 12, 2010

liked it
Read from October 06 to 11, 2010

I did not enjoy this book as much as I liked "Shades of Midnight". I had been looking forward to this one, too, so I'm very disappointed.

First I found it difficult to like Jenna. Granted she'd been through a horrible trauma and was still nursing four-year-old wounds, but then maybe the book should have started later when she was a little less freaked. She was downright unlikable for the first half of the book.

Brock is a character I was looking forward to getting to know better. But he seemed oddly two-dimensional. He had rage and regret. I didn't get any sense of his chemistry with Jenna. I had to accept it because the author said it was there, but I wasn't feeling it from their interactions.

Add to that a story line that was more teaser than anything else and it just felt unfinished and unsatisfying. Sure, one huge plot point was settled, but, frankly, I didn't see why it was still hanging in the first place. I can understand one aspect still being out there, but the rest, what was the point?

I found this story to be tepid and it felt incomplete. Especially after the last installment that I loved so much and that felt like a fully realized story.

Hunter is next and I hope we have a stronger plot line to his tale. At least he can't be hooking up with Mira (a spec that has always given me the willies even if it didn't happen for 20 years) since the book starts one week after the end of Taken.

I have found Adrien to be hit or miss. When she's on, like with Shades, she's so on it's fantastic. So I'm hooked if for no other reason than the ones that are good are just that good.

This one is very bridge-like, setting up further action down the road. I find that often to be unfair to the lead protagonists, and it's not an easy plot line to make successful. Maybe next time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taken by Midnight.

10/06
1.0% "My first read on my new Kindle."
10/08
29.0% "Almost a third of the book and Jenna still has yet to endear herself to me, the reader. I hope I start liking her soon. :P"
02/21 marked as: read

Laura the Highland Hussy I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, I loved it, but you're right about Jenna needing to have her story either started later on, or have her have already dealt with that one part of her life.
I also agree that Adrian used this book as a "bridge-like" book. Jenna had so much potential with what is happening to her, and yet it was all untapped..maybe in the next book?

message 2: by Beanbag (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beanbag Love I know a lot of my friends really liked it, Laurie, so it's probably just a preference thing. I really didn't like Ashes, either, in fact I liked it the least of all the books and a lot of my friends gave it four and five stars. So, who knows?

SPOILER
ITA about what was happening to Jenna. That was left completely hanging. I mean, how far is this thing going to go? Will the ancient's DNA take over and she'll eventually become a huge, hairless alien species male? The way it was replicating and changing her, I can't believe there was no resolution to that!
END SPOILER

I liked the excerpt for the next book pretty well. Hunter's a tough one, all his emotions are locked down so tightly. I wonder who his HEA will be. I kind of got a feeling it might be one of the saved breedmates. Like Corinne -- I think we'll see her again in any case.

MelissaB Wow Beanbag, I felt the same about this book! Jenna annoyed the crap out of me at first and I felt like we never got to know Brock.

Great review! I liked Shades of Midnight much better too. I hope Hunter's story is much better.

Laura the Highland Hussy lol, I think it would be hysterical if she became a huge hairless breed male!!!

I agree, though. Jenna had so much going on and it was never resolved.
I had an ARC and didn't get to read about Hunter :(
But most people seem to want his book, and I'm excited even without reading the excerpt.

message 5: by Buggy (new) - added it

Buggy Fantastic review Beanbag and I totally agree with you about Adrian being either hit or miss. I've said that in every one of my reviews unfortunately for me lately its been mostly misses (although I am intrigued by Hunter)