Lesley's Reviews > Fight Club

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Jan 14, 08

The movie was such an unexpected delight (I almost stood up in the middle of the London movie theater and cheered when the high rises started imploding, the Pixies started playing, and Edward Norton and Helena Bonham Carter just stood there holding hands) that the book really didn't stand a chance. Though I generally find in favor of the argument that books are better than their movie adaptations, Fight Club and The Shining are notable exceptions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fight Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Or is it not the golden rule that you can make a great movie out of a crap/middling novel but you can never make a great movie out of a great novel. I think Abraham Lincoln said that.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Well, Abraham Lincoln probably never read the great and timeless novels Repo Man and Dirty Dancing.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul These are completely anachronistic examples. The president would have been thinking of the works of Dickens, whereby we see that Great Expectations was only a so-so movie but Oliver! was a brilliant musical, and as anyone knows who has actually read it, Oliver Twist is one of CD's lamest novels. I was shocked when I read it - no Food Glorious Food, no Oi'd do Anyfing for You, not even You got to Pick a Pocket or Two.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Paul, I think you're clouding the issue here and deliberately trying to obscure my point, which is that if President Lincoln had only read and taken to heart the true spirit of the visionary novel Dirty Dancing, slavery could easily have been abolished and the Union preserved without so much senseless bloodshed and pain.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Well, you know, I'm not dissing your argument there, nor nothing like that, I can see it could have been a turning point in American and hence global history - I'm just saying that in this life one thing counts, in the bank - large amounts! I'm afraid these don't grow on trees - get out and pick a pocket or two!

Darga lol internet

message 7: by matthew (last edited Jan 15, 2008 07:41PM) (new)

matthew perhaps this is why lincoln was shot in the theatre and that's how they spelt it!).

i find that film adaptations of stephen king's "work" are, almost without fail, far superior to their source material.