Tim's Reviews > Pitch Dark

M 50x66
Feb 19, 08

bookshelves: own
Read in February, 2008

An interesting and experimental piece of fiction about a woman's relationship with a married man. The book is non-linear and at times seems to make no sense at all. As the narrative, or what we'll call the narrative, progresses, bits of seemingly incosequential information gets weaved into the flow. These bits keep getting mentioned, slightly expanded upon in short paragraphs until finally the narrator directly addresses them. I enjoyed the playfullness for the most part but sometimes I found it distracting. I still have yet to figure out how some of the segments fit into the narrative or what their purpose was. Still, I enjoyed the ride and felt it was served well by its briefness. I'd now like to read her previous book, Speedboat. Too bad that she seems to have given up writing fiction as I'd like to see where she would've gone with it.
If you get a chance to read this strange novel I recommend you do so. If you give it time and take in all the fragments you start to put together a very convincing and interesting character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pitch Dark.