Kate's Reviews > We Were the Mulvaneys

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were the Mulvaneys.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (last edited May 16, 2007 11:27AM) (new)

Joanna Did you not like this? I've never read any JCO, and feel like I must with her status as Prolific Literary Icon. Would you recommend something else of hers?

message 2: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate I wish there was a way to clarify that "abandoned" is not necessarily negative! (Any suggestions?) Anyway, I did have several false starts with this book, and I'm not sure what to blame. I couldn't get past the first few pages - never really drew me in. I do intend to try it again eventually, but there are just lots of other things I've prioritized above it.

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna oh, ok. gotcha. i stole from you and added an "abandoned" shelf for books I didn't like and have not intention of finishing. i have a shelf called "startedandmeantofinish" that represents my holding area for books i never finished but want to pick back up.

message 4: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Good idea on that distinction - "abandoned" does have a negative undercurrent. I'll start a new tag group. I'm kind of just adding stuff willy-nilly right now and planning to go back and fix the tags!