Joanie's Reviews > The Night Bookmobile

The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: books-about-books, graphic-novel, from-the-library
Read in October, 2010

This is the second graphic novel/picture book that I have read by Niffenegger in the past few weeks. While the idea that each of us has our own personal bookmobile filled with everything we've ever read is intriguing, I just wasn't that engaged by the story. Part of the issue may be that I read this right after finishing Her Fearful Symmetry and I was annoyed at the way some things were handled in that book. I had similar feelings while reading this-that I just didn't get why the main character did what she did-that it just seemed to come out of the blue and really didn't make much sense. Granted, it's a 40 page book, there wasn't a lot of time of go into a lot of character motivation but it was all just odd to me. In the "After Words" section Niffenegger mentions that the books is a cautionary tale to those of us who love books too much and asks what are we willing to sacrifice for our reading time. Would we choose an eternity of solitude if it meant we could spend all that time reading? I guess I just didn't get what it was that Niffenegger was trying to say. That we should read less? That we should realize what we're missing out on while we're reading or we'll end up alone in a Winnebago full of books? I don't really think she was cautioning against reading though-how could she be? It's all made me very cranky. Maybe I just need a nap.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Bookmobile.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Her publisher has a contest where you can win a signed copy. I found it on fb, but I can try to send you the link if you can't find it.

Joanie Meghan wrote: "Her publisher has a contest where you can win a signed copy. I found it on fb, but I can try to send you the link if you can't find it."

Thanks Meghan! I found it!