Preston Lee's Reviews > The Richest Man in Babylon

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

M 50x66
Oct 06, 2010

Recommended for: Those determined to build wealth through real, common-sense wisdom.
Read from September 01 to October 01, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The Richest Man in Babylon is a collection of allegorical insights into financial wisdom and wealth, told though parables of several generations of men living in ancient Babylon. The lessons taught bear striking similarity to those of Rich Dad, Poor Dad--that was published more than 70 years later--and fans of the later Kiyosaki/Lechter book will likely enjoy this older one written by Clason, published in the 1920's. I had minimal prior familiarity of Babylon prior to reading this book. While the forward does discuss the historical context of Babylon, the book itself is *not* about the city proper. It is about finance in a real-world, rags-to-richest sense.

The 3rd-person narrative and biblical lexicon and grammatical style took me by surprise, though once I saw past the dialog into the stories themselves, I found myself entertained and frequently nodding in agreement. Non-native English speakers *may* stumble on the character dialog. For example, "Never, in all the years of our friendship, didst thou talk like this before...", or, "There were skekels which I cast with careless freedom to the beggars; there were pieces of silver with which I did buy finery for my wife..." will read without much issue to native readers, though may prove distracting for readers not accustomed to archaic English writing.

Overall: 4 of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Richest Man in Babylon.