Daniel O's Reviews > The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Live

M_50x66
Nov 15, 10

** spoiler alert ** The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
Thumbs Up and We’re Out of Here

Arthur never wanted to travel through space and time, but that’s how everyone feels. In Douglas Adams’s science fiction comedy, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, you follow the adventures of Arthur Dent, Trillian Astra (previously Tricia McMillen), Ford Prefect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox as they travel through the universe. At first Arthur Dent wakes up one morning to the sound of an engine, only to realize that the world is about to be destroyed by Vogons, a very diplomatic race. After being warned by his friend, Ford, Arthur hitches a ride on a Vogon ship thanks to Ford. They nearly escape the Vogon ship only to be hurdled into the empty void of space, leaving them to hitch another ride on the Heart of Gold, the coveted space ship of Zaphod Beeblebrox, president of the galaxy. Greetings are exchanged on the Heart of Gold, but soon after, they make their way to the planet building planet, Magrathea. Read more to find out what happens. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is an amazing beginning to the series and amazing book (despite the sixth book) because it is hilarious in many ways, unpredictable, and very well written.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is brilliant in many ways, one of which is the fact that it’s a riot to read. This is evident in the very beginning when Douglas Adams introduces the story/setting when he writes: “Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea” (page 1). That’s just a hilarious way to start a novel, just to look at the Earth as an insignificant little planet with small brains (like it were from an aliens perspective). This also shows when later on towards the middle of the book, Douglas Adams writes about a super computer, Deep Thought, is asked to answer the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. After about seventy-five thousand generations, Deep Thought found the answer to life, the universe, and everything, which apparently is just forty-two (page 179-181). Therefore The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and Douglas Adams as a writer, are both just hilarious.

In The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy there come times when it can be completely unpredictable. There are many places where this shows, but one of my favorites is in the beginning, when Arthur’s house is going to be torn down through when the earth is going to be destroyed. When the earth gets destroyed, the Vogons tell everyone that it’s being torn down to make a space-highway. Coincidently that’s why Arthur’s house is going to be torn down, to make room for a highway. Later on in the book, unpredictability is evident when everyone is searching for Magrathea. When they get there, Arthur hits the improbability genitor and turns two rockets following them into a houseplant and a whale. That’s one place where one is confused, but just roles with it because of how funny it is. Overall The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is unpredictable, but its unpredictability provides to its amount of hilarity.

Lastly, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is, overall, well written. As previously stated, its both very funny and very unpredictable. That right there is a good combo when writing a book. When a book is too unpredictable, it can be funny because it’s just horribly written, but The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is not at all like that. The unpredictability provides to the funniness especially when it states the two most intelligent species on Earth, dolphins, and mice. Only if a book were written well enough, that could have worked well. Luckily Douglas Adams is a very good author, which shows in every single one of his books.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is an amazing beginning to the series and amazing book (despite the sixth book) because it is hilarious in many ways, unpredictable, and very well written. As a long time The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fan, I have incorporated many references to it in my life. Since Deep Thought came up with the answer to life, the universe, and everything to be forty-two, I have mostly devoted that to being the answer to life, the universe, and everything since there is no actual known answer. Also, I find myself referencing other books in the series, like in the fourth book there’s “Sorry for the inconvenience” which comes from my favorite scene in the whole entire series. While rereading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and writing this I came upon the fact of the references. I also started reminiscing on the past, when I read and finished each book (besides the sixth one). I started to remember my favorite parts and all the good times that came from the series, like Arthur’s girlfriend Fenchurch, and the second edition of “The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” along with all the crazy stuff that came with it. Overall, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a great book and if you haven’t read it, I suggest you do. But if you have read it, reread it, it’s a good experience to revisit good books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Live.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex G I liked the way you presented the book in such a funny way. After reading this review I wanted to know more about the book. Overall the book review was very nicely made.