logankstewart's Reviews > Batman: Year One

Batman by Frank Miller

Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: graphic-comics, library, 2010-read
Read from November 05 to 06, 2010

After Neil Gaiman gave Frank Miller's Batman: Year One such high acclaim, I knew I'd have to read it. So, with trepidation (I only moderately enjoyed Miller's Dark Knight comics), I dove in.

Year One is a short run. Spread over four issues, the story deals with Jim Gordon coming to Gotham City as a new police officer. His wife is pregnant. He's got a serious sense of honor and doing the right thing. He wants to change Gotham, from the inside out. Gordon's character is developed over these four issues quite well. We get to see his fallible side as well as his HOLY COW, HE JUST BEAT THAT GUY TO PIECES side.

Also arriving back in to Gotham is Bruce Wayne. He's been away training for his future life that he's planned. We see him start at humble beginnings for a super-hero (humble in the prowess and finesse sense, not monetarily) and mature to the terror that is Batman.

Commissioner Loeb (was Loeb in homage to Jeph Loeb?, writer of the best Batman series ever?) wants Gordon brought in the herd and wants Batman dead. This provides most of the plot for the arc.

In the art department, David Mazzucchelli occasionally shines, but mostly gives ruddy drawings that fit the mold for time of publication. This doesn't hinder the story much, but it's definitely not as nice to look at as many modern, re-mastered comics from the day. Still, the art was nice and worked well with the story.

Overall, Frank Miller's Year One is an okay Batman story. There were some things I thought were pretty cool (the bats!), and others that fell flat (Selina!). If you're looking for an origin story of Batman, this definitely has it. Loeb & Sale's The Long Halloween follows this in continuity, which I liked much better, but this is still worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.